back to article Why no Lego Doctor Who? fans demand

Fans of Doctor Who last night quizzed exec producer Julie Gardner and designer Edward Thomas, who had perhaps unwisely agreed to appear before the unwashed masses at the opening night of the Celtic Media Festival in Caernarfon. Matt Smith and his unfeasibly large fringe Among the pressing questions fired at the panel were why …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Doctor Who Lego

Sod the USA. Doctor Who Lego would be the coolest toy on the planet by miles and I'm sure it would sell. I'd buy some for me and some for the little one. How many of us tried to make Daleks with Lego and got nowhere?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Don't forget this is Lego...

So even if they did make a Dr.Who kit, you'll never see it in the shops and will always be out of stock on their website.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice to see that expectations for the forthcoming series

need not be set terribly high in order to keep the fanbase appeased

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Cobblers!

Cobblers? Much like the 'journalism' on here, must make you feel right at home.

5. Alex Wright
    Thumb Up

A title is required

“Interestingly, Russell T Davies was scheduled to put in an appearance, but pulled out "because of his workload". This, we believe, is an Auntie euphemism for "because he was afraid of being asked why his Who scripts were such complete cobblers".“

Oh so true! RTD can't write for toffee.

6. Anonymous John

Lego?

We want a Playmobil version.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

So what would "something commonplace" be today?

Given that a Police Box would be immediately vandalised...

A Portaloo immediately springs to mind, permanently engaged of course to deter the aforementioned unwashed masses...

Hmm... just not quite the same...

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Happy

I seem to remember..

They even wrote into a story line that the chameleon circuit broke when Dr Who (William Hartnel) first arrived in London, and later doctors never got round to fixing it - sounds typical of British workmen so I accept it as the absolute truth

9. John Gamble

U.S. Market?

Considering that it's not difficult to find Dalek figures in the U.S. (including a webcam), I'm a little confused about how the U.S. market can be blamed for the lack of Lego figures. Honestly, I smell another lame BBC excuse.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Lego Doctor Who game?

The real reasion there isn't Doctor Who Lego is they know it is law of Lego that it must be made as a game by Travellers Tales. An there is no way game of Doctor Who can ever be sold unless it total pointless like Top Trumpets nonsense..

11. Bastard Sheep

So what would "something commonplace" be today?

In the U.K. I would have thought "surveillance camera" would be a better answer. Although, that may be a bit small for the doctor to get in and out of even with the inside being bigger than the outside.

12. Adrian Esdaile
    Thumb Up

ZOMG! Dr.Who Lego! DO WANT!

AAAAAHHHHHHHH! YES! YES! YES! OH YES PLEEEEEEEEASE!

Dr.Who Lego! DO WANT

YES! WILL BUY, WILL SELL SPARE LIMBS! YES! YES! PLEEEEEEEEEEASE!

I don't often type all caps, but this demands it.

Not enough thumbs up icons to describe how shiny good double plus excellent this would be!

Oh, and can I has 'Young Ones' Lego set too?

kthnxbai

13. Stef
    Thumb Down

The real reason...

The real reason that there is no Lego Dr Who, is because they would have to change the characters every year as yet another actor quits or gets replaced.

"Oh so true! RTD can't write for toffee" The BBC pays him in toffee?

Sure he has written some bad episodes, (show me a writer who hasn't a bad episode of TV), but he has also done some good ones.

14. michael

RE:I seem to remember..

not so he has fixed it on several occasions it just never stays working very well (like the rest of the tardis)

15. Grant

@AC 2220GMT

"Top Trumpet" you say Grayson?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@AC - New fangled loos no good

Their doors automatically unlock after a set time inside. Imagine that happening in the depths of space/some nasty environment.

17. MarkJ
    Joke

I for one salute our new Dr Who lead screenwriter

Let's face it, all the best episodes recently have been written by Steven Moffat and Coupling was bloody funny, but not the US version.

As for RTD, I think the only reason we've not seen Gay Daleks is because Victor Lewis-Smith would have sued.

18. Bod

US market

Last time I checked, LEGO (not LEGOS as the yanks incorrectly call it) is made by a Danish company and features many Danish styled items (buildings in particular and as I recall the trains used to be based on Danish trains, not American or even British).

Stuff the yanks, and as for the lead character changing, surely that's better for sales as they'd get new kit to flog every few years.

However the real reason will be that 'Character' have most the rights to any toy merchandise.

But hell yeah, Doctor Who Lego any day please :). Better still Doctor Who Lego on the Wii !

19. Mark Taylor

Design Cost

Remember that just because you can find items does not mean there is a sufficient market to warrant all the design effort that will be involved.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lego

That sounds like a crappy excuse, you'd think the UK market would be enough. And though you'd likely never see such things in a major US toy store like Toys R Us, and certainly not anywhere that most people buy toys now-a-days, like Wal Mart or Target, a few specialty stores would probably be interested.

As for Davis, he's always been equal parts good and bad, as far as Who's concerned. His strong parts are really strong, and his weak parts are really weak. Unfortunately, I haven't really enjoyed the show much at all for the last year. So I'll be happy to see someone else take over and see how they do.

21. weirdcult
    Coat

design effort?

take generic LEGO figure

Attach hat and scarf.

Instant Tom Baker (the only doctor)

Done.

Take grey brick.

Attach smaller grey brick on top.....K9.

Done

22. Andy Bright
    Thumb Down

Next Dr. Who

Why is a 12 year old playing the next Dr. Who? Will an adult replace him when the storyline about being regressed into a child is complete?

23. Rachel
    Thumb Up

Lego Dr Who?

Heck, I'd buy a Doctor Who Lego set, and so would many of my friends, and we're all adults living in the US!

24. mittfh

Denmark?

Err...anyone know how popular Doctor Who is in the plastic building blocks' native land?

Or anywhere else across Europe, for that matter?

This topic is closed for new posts.