back to article Windows 7 RC download page reveals May ship date

Someone with butter fingers at Microsoft has prematurely let slip when the company plans to push out the Release Candidate version of Windows 7 by posting the download page early. Microsoft has refused to comment on when users can expect to see a near-ready version of Windows 7 arrive but many observers were expecting an April …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Lee

Enough already with the May date

The post didn't actually a date for the RC, so we still don't know when it's coming for sure.

Sure, the publication date said May, but it went up in error anyway - so why should we believe that it indicates an accurate drop date for the download?

2. The Druid
    Stop

Now shipping... Beta

Hmmm... Seems to be only the beta now available, at 18:25 GMT.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

So then the real spec is.......................

2GHZ quad core, 4GB memory, and a Radeon 4850 512mb or higher.

4. J
    Pirate

"inadvertently" "let it slip"

Right... Or just looking for some buzz and free publicity... What? Me, cynical? Noooo...

5. Gordon Crawford

another mess up!

they should just drop 32 bit support . continue xp for that . Then maybe drivers would get support.

6. Matt Bradley

MAY??!!!

Are we seriously saying that Microsoft are capable of fixing everything that was wrong with Vista by May?

So another bodge job then? Jolly good.

7. Jeremy

Inadvertently?

Yeah, right. Of course. Absolutely unintentional.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Ah well...

May seems just a good time as any I suppose

9. Jeff
    Coat

@ J

Spot on. Then there will be a few delays, because this is such a fundamental shakeup of computing not seen since blah blah blah.

The the actual groundbreaking features will be removed, and a buggy piece of crap will actually ship, one which is incrementally better than the last buggy piece of crap. And the world will ignore it until at least SP1.

Mine's the one with the lawsuit to be issued for not allowing free downgrades to winME.

10. Steve Evans

Specs...

I thought they said Windoze 7 would work fine on netbooks? As A/C 19:48 correctly observed, translating those requirements into real world numbers exceeds any netbook on the market.

Remember XP - at least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)

And Vista - 512 MB of system memory

So either M$ are being honest for once, or W7 is an even worse system hog than Vista!

11. Lager And Crisps
    Jobs Horns

...Windows is dead, long live Windows!

What ever the shipping date of Windows 7, they sure want to bury the Windows-Formerly-Known-As-Vista in a lead lined coffin. They will probably then and give it a funeral at sea, sinking it with as little fanfare as possible.

Meanwhile the marketing division at Microsoft will proclaim "Windows is dead, long live Windows!" I tell you, these guys could sell tarantulas to people that suffer from arachnophobia. The faithful always want to feel that their faith is justified, thus Microsofties will obediently buy Windows 7 as they did it's predecessor . Me, I think I'll pass. But then again I never was a true believer.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I'll mark the date on my calendar

And be sure to promptly ignore it, seeing as the "leaked" date is probably so much bull shit. Besides it's vista SP2 which means I'll be ignoring it anyway.

cheers.

13. s
    Thumb Up

Netbooks and Windows 7

So long as they don't tweak too much from the Beta version I have I don't see an issue with it running on NetBooks... My Eee 1000H (Admittedly with a couple of Gig of RAM) runs like a dream on 7. Boots fast, runs fast - no issues at all...

I can't wait to see what it does on a real computer...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So then the real spec is.......................

Single core processor, 512 ram, integrated gfx card

How do i know, there is a machine sitting next to me with that spec running it nicely now

The spec that is posted is more like a recommended spec than a min spec.

15. Christopher Rogers
    IT Angle

Microsoft Baiting

Moan cry gurn rant flame. No sod off and use Linux and don't come crying if it doesn't do all the things you need to do.

If you have an issue with MS Windows, then don't buy.

16. N

Here we go again

Its Vista SP 2 or 3 anyway

Early - Possibly

Ready - No

Microsoft have yet to ship anything considered to be 'ready' by me

17. Michael
    Happy

May day?

....we'll keep the red flag flying here.

18. Dave
    Thumb Up

*sigh*

How many negative posters have actually used it? On my system it runs a lot of applications (games) better than XP does. That maybe luck but I doubt it as I am also running it on an old Dell Precision and apart from no aero toys (thanks to an ancient quaddro) in runs like a dream. As soon as i get the ram im going to be throwing it onto an old Thinkpad T21 too to see how that handles it.

From the second i started the installs it has surprised me at how fast and smooth everything is, the new taskbar setup takes a little getting used to but on 2 systems of varying specs i have no issues as yet. If W7 drivers were not available it has happily accepted Vista and XP drivers.

I will happily cough up my own cash for it

And before you start with the MS fan tirades I am a Windows/OSX/Solaris/Ubuntu user so do have a vague idea about different OS's :D

19. Lager And Crisps
    Gates Horns

...chesnuts!

@ Luke

I have tried one of the later Windows 7 betas (build 7048) and it choked on a system with 512mb of RAM with a dedicated graphics card (Nvidia). Ironically enough, Vista actually does install and updates all patches and drivers on this machine. It's slooooow, but it does work.

@Dave

You can sigh all you want mate, but some of us have taken Windows 7 for a spin around the block. And we did more than just kick the tyres and check under the hood.

My own opinion is predictable. Microsoft could release an operating system worse than Vista (is this even possible?) and the most hardcore of their user base would cream themselves praising it as the one true version of Windows, superior to anything else available. If memory serves they also said the same of Vista. Six months after the official release of Windows 7 Microsoft will announce the design specifications of it's successor and the cycle shall begin again.

This is how the commercial software industry works, why should Microsoft be any different? Windows 7 is just Vista with bug fixes, security updates, a little optimization and a few cosmetic changes thrown in for good measure. It is not a new operating system designed from scratch.

Chances are any new enhancements or technology that appear with Windows 7 (DirectX 11?) will be backdated to Vista anyway with the next service pack. But some will still go out and purchase Windows 7 and it will take up residence in the draw or shelf next to Vista.

Sometimes you have to take your hat of to Microsoft.

20. Nigel
    Flame

Does anyone buy Vista by choice?

Are there really people out there who purchase Vista, by fully informed choice, more than once?

Most people are lumbered with it when they buy new hardware, get it home, find out that it's crap, ask about buying XP, and are told that it's not on sale any more, full stop. (Those of us with corporate licensing just "downgrade" to XP, but Joe Public can't do that).

What's wrong with Vista? It's slow, slow, slow. There are gazillions of other things wrong as well, but for anyone putting up with the slowness after being used to the speed of XP on 3-year-old hardware, there isn't any point mentioning anything else.

Most of these Joe Public types will buy a Mac next time, absent any other choice in the shops. Most of their friends won't make the Vista mistake in the first place.

I think that Microsoft has a lot in common with Sir Fred and fellow ex-bankers: arrogant, incompetent, believing in their own PR, and incapable of realizing just how much they have come to be loathed. If Windows 7 is not a vast improvement on Vista, Microsoft will be well on the way to the corporate graveyard.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

I wish I felt comfortable that this wasn't Vista 2

Won't install over XP...not going to order it for older machines.

Will install over Fista...won't matter becuase never going to order Fista (aka ME2)

22. FrankR

obvious memory problem

Cannot understand why anyone is remotely interested in an OS which is bound to be buggy or worse for at least a year and has no real added functionality. Has everyone forgotten all the previous OS releases?

Anyone with sense will bodyswerve this for a year.

No tech knowledge needed. Even a dog remembers when you kick it.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Nigel

"Does anyone buy Vista by choice? " Yes. Genuinely by choice; no ulterior motive.

I'd even install it on my Mac, if I could be bothered to jump through the necessary hoops (upgrade to Leopard so that Bootcamp is available?)

Will I shell out $$ to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7? Doubtful.

24. Eric Van Haesendonck
    Unhappy

1 Gb of Ram?

What worries me the more is the recomandation of 1 Gb of Ram. Most computers (especially business ones) only have 512 Mb of Ram, because that is the amount that is required to run XP and the very large majority of business applications.

I suspect a lot of companies have dropped out of the upgrade cycle at that hardware level and are now only replacing machines as they break. This means that deploying Windows 7 would either require memory upgrades all around (granted, memory doesn't cost much anymore, but the manpower to actually perform the upgrades still does) or wait that most machines bought before 2007 have failed (which probably won't happen until 2012 -20013 or so).

If you add to that the trouble to make application that are working on XP but not on Vista work on Windows 7, this makes any migration to windows 7 a very costly proposition.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like