back to article Indian boffins mull zero-grav bhajis

Indian scientists have been tasked with tackling a mission-critical part of their country's plan to get a man into orbit by 2015: Just how to cook up a decent space curry. According to the Times, military boffins from the Defence Food Research Laboratory face considerable culinary challenges in presenting traditional dishes …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Mmmmmmmm

Shurely the British Space Dish would be chicken tikka masala.

Mines the one with a couple of cans of wife beater in the pocket.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Antisocial space foods

Quote: "... South Korea’s first astronaut, Ko San, last year visited the International Space Station suitably supplied with kimchi, a national delicacy of fermented cabbage. ..."

I dunno, eating fermented cabbage while you are living in what is essentially an air-tight tin can doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I bet his crewmates were thrilled.

<< Mines the spacesuit with the odor-eater gusset insert.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Ahhhh....

the zero gravity chip butty. Bliss

4. Simon Neill

British food in space...

Thats what they are working on, the national dish these days is a tika massala after all.

5. Philip J.F. Quinlan
    Flame

Waste recycling costs will also have to be factored in

Given recent performance of the ISS what hope for the bogs on the curry laden mission

6. FathomsDown
    Thumb Up

Pot noodle

Onion Bahji Pot Noodle! That would be well worth the cost of the entire space programme!

7. Anonymously Deflowered
    Happy

Wind factor 10

I can't be alone in suffering from voluminous and very smelly wind after eating onion bhajis. Surely not ideal for confined spaces with limited air!

8. Ash
    Thumb Up

Space Toad-in-the-Hole

Easy. Just two giant Yorkshire Puds, one inverted upon the other, with he mash, sausage, and other gubbins in the middle.

Just add heat and recycled pee.

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    Joke

Nooooooooooooooooo!

They'll regret it the following morning.

1) The space bog'll look like it's been resprayed in British Leyland Harvest Gold by a drunk using a lawn sprinkler.

2) Any "side effects" will have to be lived with as opening the windows to let some fresh air in is off the cards. Looking at six more weeks in an environment of mixed curry sweat and bowel-processed fried onion would cause anyone to go batshit insane.

3) The recycled water'll have a suspicious cardamon flavour for weeks afterwards.

4) The zero-gee environment will prevent the puke from forming a convenient and easily removed puddle on the floor.

Also, the weight of the requisite bottles of Kingfisher is going to be a logistics nightmare in the payload of the next resupply.

10. It wasnt me

British space food

microwave kebabs. nuff said.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

er....

----

We can't help but wonder what dishes would be on a British space programme menu

----

That would be curry then?

12. Michael
    Boffin

space lager?

It would have to be flat ,... same with coke ,pop etc. Stomach cramps.

Don't think the iss is QUITE up to deep space 9 standards yet!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why's it a problem?

Can't they just swing it around really quickly to give at least a WEAK pull outwards? It's not zero-gravity- and it 's certainly not easy or cheap. But it'd work okay.

mmm.... space Lager.

On a more serious note, I'm really quite glad that they're concentrating on the important bits of space travel- what you'd eat.

14. Yorkshirepudding
    Joke

first it starts with bhajis

what next? the mutton vindaloo beast? pass me the cans of JMC Issue lager

the only thing that can kill a vindaloo ;-)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Wouldn't it be easier

if they had it delivered?

16. jai

space curry

Dave Lister's time has come

17. Tony

Phal 9000?

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

What's the problem?

I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do. The last time you had a curry night you drank 14 cans of Stella and thought it would be funny to stuff popadoms in all my data ports.

18. Darkside
    Boffin

Already well researched

Everyone knows the ship's food replicator will supply easy-to-eat food substances, in a variety of colours and flavours, which are almost entirely unlike curry.

19. MnM

Pot Noodle Appreciation

Pot Noodle is already a close technological second to space curry. Every pea, noodle, indeterminate meat bit and so on is individually coated with non-stick stuff to allow even warming/softening, and all have to cook through (not sure that's quite the right term) in 2 mins. It can be stuck on shelves for years, yet with a bit of hot water and stirring, no two pieces of sweetcorn will stick together. It's a notable achievement.

20. Paul George
    Happy

@Antisocial space foods

>>I dunno, eating fermented cabbage while you are living in what is essentially an air-tight tin can doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I bet his crewmates were thrilled.

Especially given the other major ingredients are garlic (lots) and red pepper. Breath, pores, and flatulent emmisions

21. John Smith Gold badge
    Coat

The real breakthrough will be

The low-g deep fat fryer. Critical enabling technology.

Mines the flame retardant one with the full face visor as the prospect of globules of 200c fat in low-g is not appealing.

22. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Zero-G Pot Noddle?

But how will they pour the water out of the kettle?

23. David Stever
    Boffin

Spicy Foods in orbit call for a new clothing allowance

They've already developed charcoal filtered underwear here on Earth. The Indian (...and Brit) space flights need to be combined with a shipment of these space shorts to allow the rest of the crew to live with the discharge.

Geek Chic glasses enclosed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like