back to article Tesla unwraps Model S

After months of speculation, Telsa has finally pulled the dust sheets of its eagerly anticipated four-door hatchback, the Model S. While precise mechanical details where thin on the ground, Telsa did say that the Model S will be capable of an electronically limited top speed on 130mph, a 0-60 time of “well below” five seconds …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Arnold Lieberman
    Heart

Too cheap

£34k for a aston martin lookalike leccy car with 300 mile range? I'll believe it when I see it.

2. Tim Hughes
    Go

Very Nice

I want one. Now.

That would cover about 99.5% of all my uses for a car.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Too Aston?

Isn't that like being "Too rich" or "Too good looking" or "Too healthy".

But I really hope Tesla do well, be it with purely 'leccy cars, or the hydrogen fuel cell cars which seems like a better power storage system.

Their designs are so much better than any other eco cars. They realise that running off electricity isn't an excuse for looking shit.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Want!

Much.

5. Fruitloop
    Go

Look familar... Maserati 4200 GT ?

Did someone copy a Maserati 4200 GT poster, even the Tesla badge looks so similar.

That said looks good and it's nice to see electric cars coming out that I'd actually like to own, though probably can't afford the Tesla price tag

6. Gavin McMenemy

computer kit...

What I don't understand is why all of these leccy cars appear to have so much consumer electronics gadgetry onboard. Am I wrong in thinking that these are just draining the battery and reducing the car's range?

7. xjy
    Paris Hilton

Yum

Now all we need is a Tesla Nano for around 500 quid.

(Paris cos it's be nice with a Nano version of her for around 500 quid too)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Seen it before?

In Paradise city.

http://burnout.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Hawker_Solo.JPG

9. Olaf
    Alert

Tansatlantic tax

0-60 in 5sec, £34000.

It'll be £55k before they get it to Blighty. Exchange rates and junk.....

Might interest the people who drive top of the line Evo X if they can stick to the price.

Still would be better with a noisy V8.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£34k?

It'd be worth buying one for the lithium at that price.

11. Steve Foster

Very Nice

That's a lovely looking concept car. Here's hoping it actually makes it into production.

I might even be able to afford it by 2011, if I start saving now.

12. Ash
    Heart

Approved

If the figures stack up, this is the one to bring it all home.

13. Paolo
    Thumb Up

@AC 11:25

"They realise that running off electricity isn't an excuse for looking shit."

Here here. That's a good looking car, far better than any other electric offering we've seen to date (electric Elise not included of course).

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

ROI

Lets say this is £25k more than equivalent petrol model.

Lets assume that we do 12K miles per year with petrol rising in cost at 10% per year

Lets assume the electricity on the Tesla is free.

In just 10 years you'll have broken even!

Like Paris it doesn't add up...

15. OFI

Old news?

These photos were leaked a couple of days ago.

Don't believe the price at all, the Roadster kept creeping up in price right from the start too. Didn't it end up near at 100k or something silly?

16. Lottie
    Thumb Up

I want!!

Damn, that's a fine looking car.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Touch screens

The designers clearly have gone for something flashy over something practical. Touch screens are a no-no in cars. They're a definite no-no in aircraft, why? Because there is no tactile feedback, it's far easier, accurate to actually push a button.

I use a TomTom Go a lot, far better if it had multi-function buttons around the edge of the screen rather than the touch screen buttons it uses.

It's poor ergonomic design by people that don't really understand the importance of getting it right and to be honest, it's not that hard to get it right! The rule is: don't use touch screens.

18. Paul Barnfather
    Thumb Up

I. WANT. ONE.

That is all.

19. Dale Richards
    Thumb Up

It's an electric car...

...but it actually looks like a car, not a space-age dildo. Very impressed.

20. Martin Lyne

Fucking.

Sexual.

Specs included.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aston Martin???

Maserati? Well in the dark possibly. It's more of a Series 1 Focus / Cougar look. There's precious little of Astonosity to it.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Swap.

The swapping out of batteries is a good idea.

Lets say batteries are good for 2000 charges and cost £6000.

Then each petrol station could sell the charged battery (On loan) to the car owner for lets say £20 a time.

The station holds a bank of batteries. When someone comes in with low power, they hand over theirs and get a fully charged one as a replacement.

Punter gets 300 miles for £20.

The station makes £40,000 turnover from each battery life cycle.

Problem is, the batteries are harmful to the environment to make. And on such a mass scale, they could even be worse than fossil fuels (Which will still be used to charge the batteries anyway).

Hydrogen fuel cell time.

Paris, because she would buy one.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I Like It. I Want One

The backend reminds me of an Audi A4 (B8), actually, which I think is a good looking car, but the profile is Aston-ish and the front is definitely Maserati-inspired.

This is definitely a car I could own and love, assuming build quality and handling are up to par, and only time will tell on that score.

I suppose it would add to engineering effort and development time, but I'd love to see a version with, say, 60 mile (~100 km) battery range and a range-extending secondary power unit (whatever that may be, but probably a small combustion engine) used to re-charge batteries while driving. It'd still do me - 95% of my driving is around town, so I'd be all-electric most of the time. In some markets - out here in Australia, for example - I don't think we'll be seeing battery-swap stations or 480V charging posts in forecourts any time soon, so a secondary power source for long-range driving, where distance between towns can get rather large, would be a good idea.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still waiting...

...for the "family car" they promised.

With regards to comments above, I suspect he battery packs will be "rented" rather than owned, to reduce the overall price.

25. Bad Beaver
    Go

Nice

Very nice for a leccy. Let's see what happens to the price over here in Euroland.

Oh and Tesla — BUTTONS please, touchscreens have little place in a car.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC : Hydrogen weirdness....

> they could even be worse than fossil fuels

>(Which will still be used to charge the batteries anyway).

Well yes, they could be, but not exclusively, and theoretically not at all.

>Hydrogen fuel cell time.

Where do you think the hydrogen comes from though?

27. Nigel
    Thumb Down

Oh dear

Decent rear, pretty sides ... real ugly face. Why is that huge orifice on an electric car? There's no 30% efficient (or less) fuel-burner in there, so no need to gulp vast amounts of air, so that's a big black drag-creating me-too fashion statement. Yuk.

(And back when internal combustion engines were even less efficient, some cars had tasteful radiator grilles, so even oil-burners don't need that orifice).

28. Brian
    Stop

@ROI 12:31 GMT

"Lets say this is £25k more than equivalent petrol model." Its 34k, so u must be talking about that 9k petrol car that look like an Aston and does 0-60 in 4 secs.............emmmmmm which car would that be ?????

29. Hugh McIntyre

Re: Too Cheap

They are quoting $49,900 for the "base model", and ranges of 160, 230, or 300 miles. So the 300-mile version is going to cost more. This price is also with a federal tax credit of $7500 (5154 pounds), but the US government seems unlikely to give a tax credit to non-US taxpayers, so UK buyers will presumably pay more unless the UK also gives a (possibly different) credit.

30. Richard Porter
    Unhappy

Aston-ishing?

Nor really. Why do leccy cars ave to have a great gaping black grille on the front? It's one of the worst features of contemporary car design. That and completely unnecessary side vents for cars that will never have to have their disc brakes cooled.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Tree hugging

I'm sure that another electric car with 0 emissions will please those greeny tree hugging types that don't understand where electricity comes from.

Pairs, because I'm pretty sure she doesn't know where electricity comes from either.

32. andreas koch

@ the 'leccy car critics

Sure, electric cars might be exactly as bad for the environment as petrol powered ones. Might be. But petrol powered cars are certainly as bad as petrol powered cars. The difference is the 'might be' and the 'certainly is'. Nothing to loose, really.

I'm waiting for a Tesla MPV.

33. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    Thumb Down

They are at it again

300 mile battery pack? In their dreams. Yet again, Tesla are announcing something that they hope will exist in the future. They haven't managed to get much better than 50 miles out of the Roadster - now they are claiming six times the mileage for a bigger, heavier, draggier saloon.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Tesla cars are the Moller Skycars of the road.

34. The Stainless Steel Cat
    Alert

@ROI

Yes, absoluetely. Though with the figures *I've* pulled out of my backside, I reckon you can break even in three months. Your go.

35. Evil_Medic
    Boffin

Touch Screens-that's not all!

It gets worse. Other dash photos show the instrument cluster is also an electronic display. How might this affect the range compared to analog gauges?

Glasses... cos' I SEE ALL!

36. Rich
    Thumb Up

@Tree hugging

What about the batteries, where do they come from? They have lots of nastybits inside, from all round thr world.

There was a study done to work out which cars have best green credientials over the period of their whole life, from manufacturing to disposal. The best car? Toyota Landcruiser, mostly becuase it goes on FOREVER.

37. Pete James

nope

Very derivative styling. Pretty enough but nothing special.

Good that they are looking at power pack swap-outs instead of recharging.

38. CC
    Black Helicopters

Fisker with a twist

This shows that Eco don't got to be Ugly and they took a current design, made it usable with trunk in front and nice hatch and storage area in the rear that can also actually haul something, ah, the Family Truckster Lives!

I like everything about it and the price is not really too bad for what you get.

Count on their being two years or so late on delivery, but they are a flexible company and will undoubtedly make good, this is the direction the US auto industry needs to be moving full steam in.

39. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Tree Hugging

I'll have you know that I have never once hugged a tree, and don't even consider myself a "greeny" - environmental responsibility is a mainstream view, IMO.

I am a strong advocate of electric cars and I understand very well electricity generation (where it comes from), transmission (distribution over the grid) and consumption (whether industrial or domestic).

Electric cars are about (or at least) three times as efficient as a normal car. A term that describes this well is "well-to-wheel efficiency", which is the distance driven per megajoule (MJ) of input energy from the original source (e.g. oil in an oil well, coal in a coal seam, or wind blowing around doing nothing other than messing up your hair). Taking into account the energy costs and efficiency of every stage (extracting, processing/refining, distributing, pumping and finally consuming energy), you get figures like this:

Normal petrol car (family sedan) - 0.28 km/MJ

Hybrid (e.g. Toyota Prius) - 0.56 km/MJ

All Electric (Li-ion battery) - 1.14 km/MJ

So, even if all energy is derived from fossil-fuel sources, electric vehicles STILL have the lowest emissions by far, AND there are zero emissions at the tailpipe, meaning they don't contribute to local pollution (e.g. smog). Remember when smog-reduction was a worthy aim in itself?

BUT, battery electric vehicles permit energy to be derived from any generating source - wind, solar photovoltaic, solar thermal, nuclear, wave, tidal, biomass, coal, "clean" coal, oil, gas, whatever. De-coupling the transport energy sector from oil, and permitting ANY MIX of electricity generating sources on the grid (then, of course, partly used for battery charging), produces the most efficient outcome and reduces emissions by the greatest degree. Furthermore, both the automotive technology and electricity generating streams can proceed at their optimum pace.

Clearer now? I'd like a dollar, pound, or slap-and-tickle-with-Sarah for every time I've had to explain this .....

40. Peter Ford

Not quite what I need, but close...

When they make an estate/tourer/station-wagon version, with nice rails on the roof for my kayaks, then I'll be interested. Surf-boards and mountain bikes are one thing, but can't get a 20-foot racing K2 inside anything you would honestly call a car...

'course, that roof-rack might just shorten the range a little: it certainly does with a petrol engine :(

But the extra boot in the front sounds perfect for the wet kit after the race.

On the styling - it's not an Aston, Maserati, Jaguar, Audi, Renault look-alike: it's a Mazda RX8 with proper rear doors.

41. Stephen Bungay

@ JonB

> Where do you think the hydrogen comes from though?

Ummm.. just guessing here... but...water?

I think you what you meant to ask was where will the electricity to split the water to come from?

Well, the sources of electricity are many; solar (wind, photovoltaic, tidal, wave (not tidal-wave), hydro-electric, steam turbines (using heliostats or geothermal to create steam), Stirling engines (reuse the super-heated steam from the former, or waste heat from some other source). There are many many sources of power.. there are very few good ways to store that power. Hydrogen is one.

Now storing the Hydrogen can be tricky because it is such a small molecule, but that's another problem.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like