back to article French 3M workers barricade boss in office

Workers at a French 3M plant barricaded their boss in an office yesterday, in a protest over plans to lay off 110 employees, Reuters reports. The group's industrial director, Luc Rousselet, was confined to quarters by a strategically-placed wardrobe in the factory at Pithiviers, near Orleans. Staff are demanding "more money …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Viva la Revolution

V

2. Fluffykins Silver badge

C'est le BOFH

KZZZZZZZZRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTT is the same in any language.

3. Richard Stubbs
    Thumb Down

Must make shoddy products then!

3M who make these

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Manufacturing/Industry/Product-Catalog/Bonding-Solutions/

and they use a wardrobe? French logic working at its best I see.

4. Ian Childers
    Thumb Up

gheraoing

Nice word that means exactly this

http://www.wordwebonline.com/en/GHERAO

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@ gheraoing

Um... we already have a whole plethora of words which mean that, you don't really need to introduce new ones. I'm sure it's just a form of picketing.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sacre` Bleu!

If only the French were so determined and strong willed at stopping invaders as they are at starting protests and strikes =P

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

heh

I like it, these guys get my full support for creating the UK ID Cards

8. Robert Moore
    Coat

Epoxy

Using a wardrobe is crazy. I good quality epoxy can keep your boss locked up in his/her office for weeks...

Don't ask me how I know.

Mine is the one with the tube of epoxy stuck to the back.

9. Mike Flugennock
    Thumb Up

Hot damn diggety!

You go, French workers!

Admiring from afar, as American workers are such a bunch of pussies.

10. Richard

From behind a wardrobe

"Rousselet told Reuters from behind the wardrobe"

When I read that I couldn't help but hear it in my head in a muffled voice.

11. Don Sinclair

3M!!!!!!

Reminds me of the time when I was involved in a sudo sado massacistic scenario involving sticky tape, post it notes and one of those dispsable dust masks which, as any beard toting woman will tell you never quite eliminate the risk of asbestos exposure!

12. Richard

Fired

So instead of laying them off, now they can be sacked for gross misconduct? Surely holding your manager hostage is a sack-able offence! In the words of Alan Partridge, "Cash back!" for 3M

13. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Sack the lot of em..

That's what you get for running a factory in "we strike for anything" France. Mines the one with the bunch of French p45's in the pocket.

14. Abbro56
    Coat

Did they....

summon Inspector Clouseau to free the manager and arrest the guilty?

Mines the one with the inflatable hump.

15. Law
    Thumb Up

Am I alone?

Recently I've started to have a new-found respect for the French... they take no crap from anybody, protect their own, know who they are... and sure, as a body of people they may come across as rude, arrogant or mean to other countries, but seriously, why is it all we can muster as a people is a couple of windows broken that belong to a guy who is stealing millions from us for doing nothing other than run a bank into the ground... and the french can organise mass riots, and gentlemen-barracades for nothing more than a few workers getting an extra months pay out of a layoff wave.... seriously need to jump ship from UK soon...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

redundancy

Is it just me who understands that redundancy is usually down to a lack of money, due to poor commercial performance. So many people who work within a large organisation haev no real grasp of the economics of how business works.

Also (at least in the UK), you have to make the position redundant, not the person... so you cannot simply use it to get rid of people.

In Germany the rules say you have to make your 'Best' people redundant, which is just plain daft when the company is loosing money.

It's kinda like the banking staff (who work in branches as apposed to investment bankers) still demanding a bonus despite the group making a massive loss.

Just where is it these folk think the money is supposed to come from????

And perhaps more importantly, why do they think they will see it and it wont go directly to share holders.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF???

Where'd they get the wardrobe from????

Cue El Reg re-enactment a la Mobile...

18. EJ
    Thumb Up

I like it!

Much better response than the typical US worker's (cue gun shots). Much more civilized.

19. vincent himpe

sack em all

that's what i'd do. Bunch of no good - we strike because we are french- tossers

20. Tris Orendorff
    Linux

Now,,,

...it sure sux to be the boss.

21. Neoc

In two minds.

First of all, I'd like to say that I despise companies which sack *workers* because "financial hardship" which are due to Management's inability to adapt with the time - same Management which usually doesn't get sacked until the company goes bankrupt (and even then). Frankly, I think there should be a "ratio" where at least one manager from every level up the chain should be fired before you get down to the workers. Might actually get managers to pull their finger out.

Second, though, while I accept strike actions, etc..., this is "deprivation of liberty" which is, so far as I know, a criminal offence in most Western countries. I do not condone it - and if you do, think about how *you* would feel if (say) one of your clients locked you in your room/office because they were unhappy with your service/work?

This behaviour is unacceptable in civilised society. I'm beginning to think Mr Ghandi was right about Western Civilisation..

22. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Thumb Up

Grab your wardbrobe Jaques!

Let us off to storm the Bastille!

23. Matthew
    Thumb Up

epic

They have wardrobes in their offices? WTF

You have to admire the French sometimes

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Am I alone?

Due to their policies though they have massive unemployment amongst the under 30s due to the "job for life" mentality.

And he ain't stealing it, he's got a contract, if the people in charge of looking over the contract were too incompetent to do something about it that's their fault. Sure big business messed up but heyho it was government that gave them the rope to do it, it was government that changed the rules managing holding banks, government reduced the amount of cash they had to have, government that ripped the heart out of the bank of england and gave its regulatory role to a bunch of civil servants, but nobodys blaming them. The "but everyone else gave them rope too" excuse used by gordo and chums doesn't hold up. Our countries balance sheet is in tatters not becouse of the banks, but becouse of government policy.

Place the blame where it belongs, squarly on New Labours door step.

25. xjy
    Paris Hilton

Sack the lot of 'em!

I say: "Go ahead, Make My Day". No workers around - all been sacked as a bunch of shiftless (heh) self-seeking idle trouble-making wankers - and we'll who does the actual fucking work of making all the goodies that the company sells to make its profits and keep the bosses happy.

Can you imagine the bosses working on the conveyor belt? The night shift?

End of capitalism and good riddance. Please, please sack the lot of 'em! Please!

In Poland there's a tradition of putting uppity bosses in a wheelbarrow and dumping them outside the factory gates. If the bosses are lucky. If they're unlucky, they get dumped out of a window.

(Paris knows about goodies she hasn't made herself and profits that come in and make her happy. But I'm not sure she knows what a wheelbarrow is.)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like