back to article Novell kicks out SUSE Linux Enterprise 11

Commercial Linux distributor Novell today takes the wraps off SUSE Linux 11, its riff on Linux for servers and desktops that now sports a commercially supported extension for the Mono runtime environment and a variant that provides high availability clustering of servers. The Mono Extension to SUSE Linux is the first time that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Adam Spiers

KVM tech preview in SLES 11

Although KVM has yet to prove enterprise readiness, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 does include a technical preview of KVM for testing purposes.

2. vincent himpe

wow

200 dollar for a licence to run applications. And 7000 on mainframe. And here i was think open sores stuff was free.

Luckily a windows oem install licence is only 99$....

[penguin with horns and dollar signs in its eyes icon]

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Vincent

What about the CALS? What about the Service Agreement? Server SBE Is good value for a small company I grant you, but free (Ubuntu, OpenSuSE, Fedora etc.) is better. Open Source is just that - source code that is open for anybody to see and change, whoever said it had to be gratis? Why do you Microsofties have such a hard time comprehending this?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Mono

"the Mono runtime, which allows applications that are coded in C# and using the .NET Framework to run atop non-Windows platforms."

Err...I think you meant to say:

"the Mono runtime, which allows SOME applications that are coded in C# OR ARE RE-WRITTEN TO USE A GREATLY REDUCED .NET Framework to run atop CERTAIN non-Windows platforms."

I wish the Mono people all the best and I look forward to the day I can demo my stuff on Linux, but you are really over-egging Mono and that will only lead people who have been told "Hey, Mono can run .Net!" being disappointed and slightly annoyed by the hype. That'll be people like me then.

5. A J Stiles
    Gates Horns

No mystery here

"The Mono Extension is available today, but only for x86, x64, and mainframes. The code is not available on Power or Itanium platforms, which is a bit of a mystery."

Mystery? It probably is full of nasty binary blobs, is all.

6. The BigYin
    Linux

@Vincent

Then you thought wrong. Open Source is, well, OPEN.

Free and Open Source is, well, FREE and also OPEN.

Just because you fail to understand the concept does not mean there is anything wrong with the concept itself.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like