back to article China bans YouTube again

The Chinese government has again blocked access to YouTube just over a year after it shut off access to the site for hosting footage of the Tibet protests. China's firewall allows sporadic access to services like YouTube, but access was shut off on Monday. A Foreign Ministry spokesman said the Chinese government was not afraid …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Down

China...

...Thailand, Turkey and Pakistan have all previously banned the video sharing site.

So not long before it happens in the UK, then.

Of course it will be to "protect" us because "terrorists" have been using it to spread "messages of hate" or other propaganda...

2. RainyRat
    Coat

Telling phrase

"China's internet" - those two words alone tell you all you need to know about how the Chinese government see this.

3. The BigYin

Where China leads...

...Australia and the UK will follow.

Are you paying attention?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Touchy about TIBET hey?

For a country doing "such good" in Tibet China certainly is ultra sensitive to any criticsm about their being there. Damn light to ban Youtube. In a similar vein: Did the Chinese influence the South African government to ban the Dali Lama from attending a peace conference in SA in 2010? Interesting because [apart from China] SA is the only country to ever refuse him a visa.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Comrades!

The difference between us and the so called democratic countries is that the peoples republic is honest and upfront about our censorship!

6. Cameron Colley

@the BigYin

Why ban them when they can make us all criminals by allowing us to watch them?

Communist countries seem to be ruled by idiolistic, brain-dead, hypocrits with a penchant for pointless "moral" quests. The UK, on the other hand, is ruled by a bunch of useless middle-management cunts, and the marketing people, using the police as attack dogs.

7. Alexis Vallance
    Thumb Down

PooTube

I know how they feel.

No music videos. Hasn't worked properly on my iPod Touch for 6 months.

It's turning into ebay - a bit pants.

8. Scott
    Alert

Hit China in the pocket book

What I cant understand is why China is allowed trade with the free world? It only benifits them and gives them more reason to censor. Stop all trade with China until they get a free democracy installed for the people, by the people....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Scott

Thanks Scott for that insightful comment. Of course we'd cope brilliantly if trade with China was suddenly cut off. After a short period of the Chinese government feeling a bit embarrassed and then realising how silly they'd been and writing off all of our debts to them, I'm sure we'd soon pass into a new era of unprecedented global harmony as a result. Actually, I think maybe we could use a new ambassador; perhaps you'd consider the job?

10. Long Fei
    Unhappy

Trade

@Scott

You obviously don't konw much about the world economy. China owns an extremely large amount of US debt,and the US govt. would like it to buy more. It's not going to piss China off just now over this.

In that case you should ban trade with all the other countries that don't have a 'free' democracy. There's a long list there...

And yes, there's no YT from my office. (Beijing). But then I don't really care about that site. All the other sites China has blocked recently though... :(

11. rob
    Thumb Down

Free Tibet

Just saying that in public can have you arrested and tortured. Luckily they put a pause on that while the Olympics were there, now all that fuss is over they can go back to arresting and torturing people without anyone else knowing.

12. Slaytanic

re: Scott

While I too would love the idea of banning trade with China over their insane thought police government, it won't happen. Just take a guess of how many things you buy are made in China, and how many big western businesses have factories there? Also, imagine how much those businesses would jack up the prices on their goods if they couldn't make or buy parts for their goods from there? The only way that the ban would have worked to our benefit would have been if we never begun trading with them to start with.

Not really sure about how "evil" the CCP really is? Google search - Nine Commentaries on the Communist Party. From what I've been told, this is written/made by someone from China. Here's a few links to get started

http://ninecommentaries.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8oaUepvc70 part 1a of 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58QmbCrZ844 part 1b of 9

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like