back to article ContactPoint rollout grinds to a halt, again

ContactPoint, the child protection database set up after the murder of Victoria Climbie, has been delayed for the third time. The brakes were first put on the project after the loss of 25m records by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs which led to a general review of the government's shoddy data security practises. It was …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dave

Blocked Records?

Is it still the case that MP's children will have their records blocked? If MPs don't trust the database to be secure when why should I? If they manage to get my family's records on the system then I want them to be blocked as well.

2. Ian Loveridge
    Stop

Is it not for ALL vulnerable children?

I understood that ContactPoint was to allow the authorities to more easily help all vulnerable children by showing which children had dealings with which areas of support, e.g. a hospital visit check could show that social services have concerns about the child's safety, potentially showing an incident of abuse@home. I didn't realise that 'vulnerable' children will be excluded from the records...prompting the question - what's the point? Or are only kids of famous people truely vulnerable...

3. Ash
    Thumb Down

Out with labour

Referendum.

Do it.

4. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Down

Oh goody!

"It seems the latest delay is to do with the issue of shielding; keeping especially vulnerable children - believed to include children of MPs and celebrities - off the database."

My kids may not be special to you scumbags, HM Gov, but they are special to me! Can I have them removed from the DB, to protect their freedoms and privacy? No didn't think so! Obviously I will have to get elected to some useless government position first!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

MPs kids are "especially vulnerable"?

Isn't that a good reason why they /should/ be in the system?

And hang on - so all an abuser needs to do is target the children of minor celebs and MPs, and their victim's details won't be in the system.

And an MP will be able to beat his/her children with impunity, safe in the knowledge that their "second home" LEA won't be sharing records with their "family home" one.

Hmm. Presumably what you meant to write was "the issue seems to be that MPs don't like the sauce for the gander, but still want to pour it on us geese". MPs do NOT deserve special treatment.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Obviously Not For Protecting Children

ContactPoint is obviously not for protecting children. The whole thing about "shielding" gives it away.

They tell us that ContactPoint is all for the protection of children. That's the whole point of having it. And yet, there's this "shielding" thing, where the most vulnerable children - those most in need of protection - are protected from ContactPoint!

Not only does this confirm that ContactPoint is itself clearly a danger to children, but it clearly exposes the lie that it was ever really about the protection of children in the first place.

What can it possibly be for, then?

Oh, yeah. The Stasi "Surveillance Society" Stalker State ("SSSSS"?).

7. John Smith Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Transformational government ?

Transforming the ability of paedophiles to get their hands on the details of potential victims that is.

8. EnricoSuarve
    Flame

A groomers dream

"oo he's nice, but wait a minute - nope he's got social worker"

"sweet but in constant contact with police"

"already been done..."

"perfect, little Timmy - no flags at all"

"Oh Timmy......"

[Shudder] - 1 million people will have access? How open to abuse is this going to be? (rhetorical question)

How exactly do we go about getting our kids shielded? Unfortunatly I am not a pop star or politician or you know "important" so I have no idea how to protect my kids data from a pool of 1 million potential perves

9. John Smith Gold badge
    Coat

@ EnricoSuarve

"perfect, little Timmy - no flags at all"

Transformational government

I feel duty bound to remind people that it is claimed that access will be restricted so only people in your local area (not sure if this is education authority or council or PCT area) will have access to your kids details. Presumably the thinking being that this will limit the damage, or maybe they hope it'll improve your chances of recognising them again if something did happen.

I still cannot seem to find any actual figures for the prevalence in the population are. Would it be lower in this group should be due to more screening? Or would be it be higher due to the benefits of being able to combine their hobby with their work?

"Operation Ore" found about 1500 UK credit card numbers on the site they busted. That makes 0.0025% of the current population. On the official 390k users figure that give 9-10 members of the KDF fan club.

But the handling around Ore by UK police is in doubt. In the US the CC details were checked against sites to confirm a) the site was real b) the CC owners had not reported fraud on their statements. Turns out quite a few had been dummied up to give something fraudsters could charge against directly. Turning stolen card details into cash instantly. The FBI checked before moving in. UK Police appear to have been less through.

So 9-10 of them working somewhere in the system. Or less. Or more. Of course if one of them is working in the Cap Gemini (IIRC their the contractor on this) office as a DB admin...

Mines the one with a copy of War Games in the pocket. As in several other databases, the only *truly* secure move is not to set it up in the first place.

10. John Smith Gold badge
    Stop

But its real "benefit"

Is a clean upload to the NIR, and possibly the PNC as well.

Clean data is so important when your starting a new database.

This topic is closed for new posts.