back to article Acer recalls potentially overheating Predators

Acer has recalled all of its Predator monster gaming desktop PC in the US after two owners experienced machine meltdown. Neither punter said they were hurt by the incidents, which involved short-circuits within the system that led to "melted internal components and external casing", according to the US Consumer Product Safety …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steven Raith
    Flame

An Acer? With crap hardware design?

Say it ain't so!

I heard the other day they are starting to sell servers - perish the thought of using Acer kit in a business critical role.

Maybe as a footstool....

Steven R

2. Ian Stephenson

not just the desktops...

The Acer Travelmate laptops seemed designed so your right kneecap fit nicely in the fan intake.

Not the sharpest crayons in the design world..

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

what can I say

Unlucky Acer I applaud any company that takes time out to build serious gaming systems.

and at least Acer have done the right thing and ordered a recall and fixed the problem.

If I didnt build my own I would consider them (I did have one of their nice laptops)

and Steven Acer have built servers for like AGES! :)

Its just finding where you can buy the suckers thats hard!

(dont ask BTW its for a client :) )

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Steven

Haha, not entirely surprising is it?

Everything I've come across badged Acer has been naff, plasticky and poorly designed and made. Haven't seen any of them set on fire, but it's not much of a shock really.

And servers?! Bloody hell....

5. Peter Kay

Testing?

Really, for that sort of price you'd expect extended stress testing in a hot temperature controlled environment rather than the usual enthusiast method (if you're lucky) of 'bung the bits in a case, add a couple of fans, run orthos on it for a couple of hours and make sure it doesn't fall over'.

When you pay someone to supply a system, you do rather hope they've done the hardest part of the assembly.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ACER'LL RECALL

did you see what I did there..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I'll buy one

I'm a lonley geek and I fancy a hot predator in my room.

Edie Britt perhaps?

The one with the stains on the inside.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like