back to article Sun banks future on multicore virtualization

Sever virtualization is at the top of most IT admins' to-do lists, but it's still has a long way to go in the development of management software, I/O technology, and storage technology before its full value can be realized. Or so said Denis Sheahan, a Distinguished Engineer at Sun Microsystems, in a presentation at this week's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Barber
    Boffin

Multi processing...

... what's the point? Multi-tasking has been around since the Motorola 68000 in the 1980's. Is there any application language that that actually split its resulting code into separate parts to use more than one processor at a time?

2. Hate2Register
    Alien

That press release was bollocks..

Those great stats you ripped from the press release: "65 per cent are implementing multicore virtualization now, 11 per cent are planning to implement it in the next 12 months, 13 per cent plan to implement it at some time in the future, and 11 per cent have no plans for server virtualization." Wow, that actually adds up to 100%. So nobody doesn't know what it is?

Yeah yeah. That was of the organisations that sent the form back. How about the near 100% of SMBs that don't know what the fück multicore virtualization is.

I've been around computers my whole life and I have absolutely no idea what you are going on about. Mind you, neither do you, or you would have explained it!

3. joe

Hey SUN

Talk talk talk...

Shut the F!@# up and .....

Do do do for once.

System management and Sun in the same sentence is like Microsoft and security!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Server Deployment

Honestly, loading the OS is not that big a deal. Give it a rest already. It frequently takes longer to get the network connections sorted out.....................................

5. Frank

Virtualbox - is it a 'good' thing?

I'd like to try virtualisation (just for fun, familiarisation, new skills, etc) and am thinking about Virtualbox, because it's free and open source. I've seen a couple of comments elsewhere that Virtualbox is not all that good, compared to other products.

I don't want to start any fanboi wars, but can anyone tell me if there is a good reason not to use Virtualbox and its xVM Server counterpart. Better still, is there an unbiased article anywhere that compares the various virtualisation offerings?

6. Jonathan Adams

Sever virtualization

which bit will be severed?

7. Brett
    Alert

@frank

Virtuabox is good for learning the basics about Virtualisation on the desktop, it's not a Datacentre VM solution though, XVM Server has potential but it hasn't even hit beta yet so it's a long way from being production ready. IMO Hypervisor production ready VM solutions number 2 at the moment, VMWare and Xen.

Brett

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like