back to article Microsoft readies IE8 for lift off

Web surfers across the world will be able to download Internet Explorer 8 later today. Microsoft’s browser should land at noon Eastern Day Time (16:00hrs GMT), assuming the software giant isn’t hit by any 11th hour problems with its download servers. The firm will officially take the wrapper off IE8 later today at its web …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris
    Coat

Is it...

...available for Linux or OS X...?

Mine's the one with a fox in the pocket.

2. Craig Roberts
    Thumb Up

Yay!

Today, our lives as Web Dev's gets that little bit easier... Hopefully it'll be pushed out as a critical update in Windows Update shortly and we can get onto the final straight (read 2 years ish) of having custom CSS files for IE users...

Imagine... Only having to design the page ONCE! :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

up already!

just thought i see where your link went and it is avaiable now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This IE 8 Article link...

...caused my copy of IE8 to crash and reboot my Windows 7 laptop!! Twice!! Comment posted from my IE7 install on XP Pro. Beautiful.

5. Matt Mc
    Stop

IE8 Blows

I'm running Windows 7 beta and IE8myweb Beta. It's total bollocks. Give me FF anyday.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do we think...

...that it will break the download record set by FF3?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cope

It came down at 800K/s which is pretty close to flat out for my line. A lot better than the 27 attempts it took to get FF3. Only downloaded it for work purposes, I'll be sticking with Opera for real life.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Coat's already on, thanks

The Microsoft website's giant *orange* "Download Now" button reminds me of Ubuntu (ugh), not that that's meaningful aside from making me want to hurl. However the IE8 download was quite fast. Not that I'll use the damn thing after it's installed; it's only for testing.

9. robbie
    Gates Horns

Up yours Jobbo, from Bill

With tongue in cheek I attempted to download IE 8 to my Mac running an old Safari 4 beta and OSX 10.4.something or other. I had to <div> for cover as Safari crashed and burned around me.

Never one to take a hint, I tried again: fried again.

10. CC
    Thumb Down

Got, Installed, Removed

Downloaded, installed hit the Icon, screen flashes for a split second but nothing else, uninstalled, retried same thing so took it as a sign and removed.

11. Andy Bright

WE are the standard

The stuff everyone else writes is wrong. Yes, we understand everyone else codes the same way, and they all interpret data the same way. But they're all wrong and we're right. Now that's been cleared that up, we just thought we'd mention that if your non-standard website isn't tagged correctly, you'll need to re-do all your work.

--

I know I'm not the only person that sees a small problem with this line of thinking. I know that there are at least 1 in every 1 reg reader sitting thinking "Wait a minute.." and a fair number of those have reached the conclusion that perhaps something doesn't smell right when a company claims its the only one following standards.

I'm also pretty sure I'm right in thinking that this same fair number are suggesting Microsoft can either write something that works or go fuck themselves.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like