back to article Killzone 2 to drive XBox 360 owners to PS3, claims Sony

Killzone 2 on the PlayStation 3 will spur Xbox 360 gamers to sample Sony’s console, the consumer electronics giant reckons. Scott Steinberg, VP of Product Marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America, told website GameDaily that the game – which launched in the UK late last month and is a "tremendous" PS3 exclusive – will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Hang on...

"Sony needs to up its numbers. The worldwide tally of Xbox 360s sold up to the end of January standing at 27.9m, with the PS3’s total at 21.3m, according to the consoles' respective manufacturers."

So the PS3 has been out less than 2 years in Europe and has sold 21.3m consoles. The Xbox360 has been out 3.5 years and has only sold 27.9m consoles...

Surely by anyones maths that means the PS3 is actually outselling the 360 by large numbers... The press releases from Microsoft with cherry picked stats had fooled me otherwise...

2. Ry
    Paris Hilton

Agree

I have had my 360 for about 2.5 years with no intention of buying a PS3, so far Ive had my xbox repaired twice, and also had a replacement which struggles at the best of times.

I was at my mates last weekend and I had ago on KZ2, (my mate wanted to prove a point) and I must admit, I never thought it would been anywhere near as good as it is.

Role on payday, my xbox live account expires in April and I wont be renewing, as I will be a proud owner of a PS3. Basically I was/ kind of wish I still was a sony hater, but ive got no argument as to why... even though it feels like I should!!

I have been thinking for awhile how far can the 360 go? They cant release a blu ray drive for it, I lost faith after buying and never using a HD drive hoping that the games would follow :-( I read that MGS struggled to fit the game on a dual layer ray disc. What can microsoft do apart from sell a hard copy and follow it up with a download of the additional content, with most using a 20GB console?!

Paris - would love to play her aswell

3. M
    Heart

Erm no?

I own an xbox 360 to play halo3 and left4dead with my friends. I would buy a PS3 in a heartbeat if there were any games for me to play. I have played KZ2 but I still don't think that it is the killer app for me to buy one.

*Waits*

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

True Dat

The multi format gaming forum I use saw a large number of 360 owners picking up PS3s and KillZone2. XBL was pretty quiet for a couple of weeks. However, they're flooding back now. I'm glad the game wasn't another 'Haze', but I'm not sure it's as great as the hype makes out.

5. Peter
    Stop

cherry pickin'

AC, I like the way you complain about cherry picking statistics and then do just that in the following sentence. overall the PS3 has actually been out for 28 months and the 360 for 40 months. that equates to 750000 a month for the PS3 and 700000 for the 360. At that ratio it will take the PS3 another 140 months to surpass the 360 making it nearly 14 years old by that point. Pretty poor for a former market leader.

6. Marco Alfarrobinha
    Thumb Down

That's why...

... I am selling my PS3 on ebay (no link, don't want to get banned) at the moment and my 360 gets used every day! lol

If I want to watch movies, I buy a dvd player, if I want to play games, I buy a 360. Simple.

I would never buy a 250 quid console because of one game, doesn't mather how much money I have.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

killzone

Well dont know about the sales but as a fps fan Killzone 2 is one heck of a game. Put in over 150 hours already. Quite frankly i dont think anything will match up to it for a long time. So well done to the developer.

8. adam
    Alert

I don't think so Sony

I'm a PC gamer have been for years and for the past four months i've been a 360 owner as well. I have no intension of buying a PS3, one or two games is no where near enough to tempt me.

9. Ry
    Paris Hilton

@Marco

"I would never buy a 250 quid console because of one game, doesn't mather how much money I have."

It isnt just about Killzone, although that was a deciding factor for me, I spent about 25 minutes looking at the exclusive titles (most of which my mate has) apart from Heavenly Sword all the exclusive titles are pretty damn good. Resistance 2, MGS, Motorstorm 2, Gran Turismo Prolouge & Uncharted, there are others just cant think of them right now (was on the beers last night).

The PSN & PS Store work pretty well, and the prices of the full games are fairly cheap, I wanted to test how well online games were, I cant see now MS justify charging £50 a year for online, not when Sony are offering a pretty responsive serivce for free... Im starting to sound like a fanboy now **cries** I still have my xbox and when an exclusive for the 360 is out im sure I will buy it. I can see where Sony are coming from with their claims, they do have the better system, and have a few more exclusives to look forward to this year.

Paris - Id still rather play her

10. Neil
    Gates Horns

I would.

£279 or whatever you can pick up the PS3 for is nothing, it is cheap for the kit you're getting. Remember, £279 in todays money is the equalivant of what? £200 in 1995? when the PS1 was first out. I seem to remember paying £300 for it.

Sure the 360 is cheaper but......It's "cheaper" and you really do get what you pay for !

Just wish PS3 had Left 4 Dead, damm you Gabe Newell.

Gates because I suspect he's Gabe's bestest buddy

11. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

re: cherry pickin'

Seems you sir are cherry pickin' The PS3 has not even been out 2 years in Europe... (Launch 23rd March 2007).

When I went to school, there were 12 months in a year, so you seem to have handily added 4 months onto your numbers...

Seems the Microsoft Xbots are getting real desperate these days.....

Paris, because even she knows how many months in a year...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

£179 for 2005 technology or £250 for 2009 tech?

Thats what you need to ask yourself...

The PS3 wins hands down every argument. The £70 or so difference is easilly made up for in the included Blu-ray, the Wifi, the vastly better build quality and relability and lack of £40 a year online fees...

If you are too stupid to see that a £250 console is actually cheaper than a £179 Xbox that breaks down every other month when you add 2 years of Xbox live fees, then good luck to you...

PS. If anyone wants to question the £250 price, I suggest they head to WHSmniths before they do, as thats what they are selling them for (without Killzone 2), the KZ2 bundles are like £279).

Paris because even she is smart enough to see that core selling price is irevellent, it's the total cost of ownership and value for money thats important..

PS... As for the idiot that thinks there are no games on PS3 worth playing, I suggest you head back to 2006, where you just came from....

13. Iain
    Stop

Wow, the fanboys are busy

"If you are too stupid to see that a £250 console is actually cheaper than a £179 Xbox"

Jesus Christ, people. It's simple maths.

As for Killzone 2, it's not worth the 7/10 Edge gave it. Not that Gears of War was worth its Edge score either, mind you, so that's not terribly relevant in a format wars argument.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

cheap at half the price

The PS3 is cheaper than the xbox when you compare apples with apples. If Sony sold their machine without a blu-ray drive, without wifi, without a HDD (or charged £££ for a tiny proprietary drive), even without stuff like rechargeable batteries in their controllers, and then charged £40 a year to listen to ADHD sweary racist teenagers on a box that has a 1-in-3 chance of breaking it could easily sell it for less than an xbox. Microsoft have just repeated their (successful) strategy of selling stuff that's 80% of the features of the competition and added a new subscription-based money-maker (admittedly of superior quality) to drain the last pennies from its gullible buyers. Apparently, though, half of the population is of below average intelligence and have voted on the sticker price without knowing what they are buying - as such MS rushed a faulty console out of the door to sucker as many early-adopters as possible and have largely escaped the backlash.

Killzone 2 is good (beautiful but hard, just like PH gym-toned curves) but there's loads more coming out this year exclusive to Sony than to MS. Uncharted 2 should be awesome.

But what do I care ? I'm happy watching blu-ray movies from lovefilm, playing games without having to maintain a subscription and watching and recording TV when I'm too tired to be slaughtering pixels. My PS3 has replaced pretty much all of my home entertainment gadgets (DVD player, DVR, CD player, ipod dock) and if only it had a digital clock on the front too I'd be 100% happy with it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like