back to article Apple iPhone sales tally tops 17m

Apple has sold more than 17m iPhones since the gadget first went on sale in June 2007, the company has revealed. At least 13.7m of that total were sold during 2008 alone, Apple's head of iPhone and iPod development, Greg Joswiak, claimed today. Speaking in Cupertino ahead of the anticipated demo of the third major version of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. adnim

big numbers

Does the 17 million include those iPhones still sat on retailers shelves. And does the 800 million include iTune tunes?

I could spout some amazing statistics about my own business, like the number of business inquiries I received today. But if I mentioned that more than half were cold call sales and marketing, the figures wouldn't look half as good. Me = as skeptical as ever ;-)

Although I could do with more work... I resist the urge to spam my business website.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Joswiak ?

Joswiak - sounds like a cross between Jobs and Wosniak. This guy was literally born to work at Apple.

3. Jim in Hayward

And they thought no one liked Apple!

There are ALOT of servers that are experiencing problems because of stories/posts about the Apple event (iPhone 3.0) today. Those servers must be running Windows. Register must be on Linux or OSX or something.

Anyway...Go Apple!!!!!!

4. jai

of all the requested features...

....is tethering the only one they haven't delivered with OS3 ?

5. jai

nope, they hit that as well

just read, tethering has also been done, there's just issue with getting the phone operators to support the increased data usage

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Hell!!!!

That's a lot of idiots!!!!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Good news story

on the day news of mac sales were down 16% in Feb and Windows sales were up 22%. OS news.

8. raving angry loony

Apple tossers

I have the iPod Touch. It will be the last Apple product I purchase. Apple went from a "doing it right" company to a "greedy bunch of assholes" with the iPod Touch / iPhone business model they've decided on.

NONE of my other iPod accessories work with the Touch, which means I'm having to try to find and re-purchase iPod Touch compliant accessories such as car chargers with aux output, etc. Greedy bastards. Then there's the whole application egotrip they have means that I can't use the applications I want to use without jailbreaking it. Sod that. I'd have purchased the iPhone, but the tied-to-inferior-providers model they have, plus I'm working in Canada at the moment and they have insane data costs here (no unlimited data plan, max 1Gb (!!) plan with HUGE per-MEGAbyte costs afterwards), screw that.

Count me out for any future Apple products. They've completely lost the plot.

9. Toastan Buttar
    Happy

@AC : Joswiak ?

My thoughts exactly ! Lovechild of the two Steves.

10. Scott Mckenzie

Car Chargers

Why blame Apple, the specs published several YEARS ago stated that they would be removing the pin that enabled charging via Firewire - consequently the one people had been using in their car chargers etc... so why is it Apple's fault that the manufacturers of the accessories ignored this? Or could it just be that they knew people would have to buy a new one and could blame Apple....

Get a grip.

As for Apps, there are a couple i have on my jailbroken iPhone that are useful/better than those from the store, but not many - i'd have a kosher iPhone any day, shame i'm contracted tied for a while longer...

Again, as for data costs - is that Apple's fault?

You seem to be the classic anti-Apple person... despite none of the issues being their fault, you see fit to rant and blame them - you must feel so tough and immensely satisfied... congratulations.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

App store almost Facist

Ever heard the stores on how Apple will not sell certain apps at their store? While some may be iffy at best [iBoob?] there are others that Apple won't sell because they are cheaper and compete against their own more expensive [not surprised there] apps.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like