back to article Microsoft plans six critical patches

Next week's Microsoft patch fest will include nine security updates, spanning a wide range of products. Six of them earned a rating of critical, reserved for the most severe vulnerabilities and apply to Windows, Internet Explorer and Office. According to a blog item from Microsoft security program manager Christopher Budd, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ryan

Being a bit unfair?

You seem to be deriding the fact that M$ are releasing 6 critical patches?

It would certainly be worse if they just ignored the issue and pretended everything was OK. At least this is a step in the right direction.

And before you say "it shouldn't need security patches at all" just bear in mind that nothing is perfect!

2. Paul

Can't see any attempt at derision myself...

Looks like bare facts to me, where's the derision?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But I thought Windows was secure!

I thought only nasty OSX could get vulnerabilities and have issues and Windows was flawless!! I think they are just lying to us with propaganda and claiming there are these large list of items/flaws to fix! Nasty El Reg! :(

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crikey!

This one's been up for a while now with no "If you use MacOS / Linux / <insert other OS> you wouldn't have this sort of problem" comment. Must be some kind of record. Is there some kind of international fanboyz' holiday that I wasn't aware of?

TeeCee

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Linux Doesn't have any flaws....

Linux is ace and so is OSX. Windows sucks....

Actually I don't really care, as I don't have Linux or a MAC and use Windows (I have a life, so can't be arsed to learn a new whole OS / buy a new pc to repalce the one that works just fine thanks), but due to the lack of fanboys I feal it is my duty to put a pointless "my os is better than yours" comment up...

6. Juhani Vehvilainen

Getting a bit tiresome eh?

Still no sighting of "fanboyz/bois/boys" despite months of drumming...

Stu and friends, you might want to start thinking about a bit more novel way to display your "I have a life and I don't know anything about the science and engineering that goes into computers of any kind, hence I'm qualified to tell everyone that bad is the new good and worse is actually better and even if it's not, well Microsoft rules the world anyway because they said so on the telly" smugness lest someone start suspecting the bit about you actually having a life.

7. scotty1980

from the other side of the fence

do Firefox vulnerabilities receive negative/sarcastic press there certainly has been enough of them.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/known-vulnerabilities.html#Firefox

and exactly how many security patches have been applied to the current Linux kernel?

and i'm a *nix fanboy just not militant about it

8. 4.1.3_U1

@scotty1980

Of course Firefox gets a good lashing here, most recently:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/31/firefox_update/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/25/critical_firefox_vuln/

"how many security patches have been applied to the current Linux kernel?" ... hmmm, how long is a piece of string? I wouldn' like to try to count the number of individual security bug fixes since kernel 2.6 came out.

However, my Fedora 7 update repo only contains 4 (i686) rpms:

kernel-2.6.21-1.3228.fc7.i686.rpm kernel-2.6.22.1-33.fc7.i686.rpm

kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7.i686.rpm kernel-2.6.22.1-41.fc7.i686.rpm

whereas for FC6 I've got 13.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

stupid gits

While you pinheads simper the fact is there has

been a massive trojan infestion thats overwhelming

windows boxes everywhere six critical updates that

have in the past broken things this isn't about anything

but keeping your old pathetic computers still

working for a few more weeks just keep talking it

will keep you from opening any more e-cards.

This topic is closed for new posts.