back to article Obama CIO a confessed petty thief

America's first CIO once pleaded guilty to a petty theft charge, according to Maryland state records. Vivek Kundra is currently on leave from his federal CIO post, after one of his former employees was arrested for alleged IT bribery. The 34-year-old Kundra was tapped for the newly-formed CIO position on March 5, after almost …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Damn Liberals..

You just cant trust them.

Always giving politicians bad reputations, after all the government has never stole from you.

*\. Been asked to get my coat for "questioning"

2. Adam Williamson

Great!

"Obama CIO a confessed petty thief"

Hey, beats the grand larceny that tends to be the norm...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

All I can say is...

"So what"

So he had a petty theft charge when he was young. Big, fat, hairy deal.

In other news, he may have told a lie once or twice to his mummy, and I'll bet he's touched his naughty parts when no one was looking.

4. E

Yer Bush, now...

got all his sins forgive by Jesus, so the Republicans can rest easy.

5. Steve

Is that all?

Less than $500?!

At least the Republicans had some ambition. How smart can he be if he can't even swindle a few hundred dollars.

6. Bounty

petty theft

Actually he would have been about 22 in 1997 I believe. Since he has a masters degree, and that usually takes a while to get (then some time to become CIO of Washington), he was probably in college when it happend. I'll go with, he probably stole a pizza and some beer.

7. Steve

Memo: Obama to Staff

Smile and wave boys, Smile and wave....

8. EWI
    Flame

Traffic Cone thieves are evil!

I notice that the 'Complainant' in the original court records is a cop.

God knows what silly, stupid thing (especially as we're discussing <i>American</i> cops here) he was brought up on, so. If he's stolen a couple of million, he'd be made an Irish banker...

p.s. to the Reg - HotAir is a hangout for Bush-lovers who would make Fox News seem like pinkos in comparison. It's more than likely that they're just a conduit for Republican smears. FYI.

9. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Pirate

RE: Bounty

"....he probably stole a pizza and some beer...." Firstly; theft is theft, no matter the amount, and at 20+ he can't say he didn't know what he was doing was wrong. Secondly; sub-$300 is a nice way of saying it was less than $300, like maybe $299 - a very expensive pizza and beer. Either you are (a) an idiot;

(b) a Democrat with their head in the sand, likely also to be (a);

or

(c) just the type of discerning customer I'm looking for, as I have a whole truckload of the World's finest beer and pizza to sell you at the bargain price of $100 a bear and £199 a pizza slice - yes. it's that good! Honest!

10. Stinky

Once a thief...

... always a thief

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. r

in

other news the bush administration stole the 2000 election

13. Grant

All I can say is... +1

AC in "All I can say is... " pretty much covers my feelings on this.

14. Sean Groarke
    Jobs Horns

Typical Democrat

Typical liberal. Sub-$300. Pathetic. If he'd done it properly and nicked something decently large (a bank, say) he'd have become a Republican instead.

15. Trevor
    Stop

@matt bryant

Put me down for 3 light bears (how many units in a bear?) and a pepperoni please.

Wow though. A politician has got history. and all this time I thought they were kept in a basement until they were sufficiently ready to run a country badly for 3 or 4 years.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

So...

a political appointee is found to be a convicted crook.

And in what way is this news?

PH is also a jailbird.

17. asdf
    Unhappy

less than $500 what a nub

He needs to take lessons from fellow Obama pick Tim Geitner and in less than two months funnel billions to his prior employer (Goldman Sachs) all legal in plain sight of everyone. Bah right vs left, this party vs that all games to get the sheep to not look behind the curtain. Sigh.

18. Paul
    Flame

RE:Matt Bryant

I was going to write a long post about how stupid what your saying is, but please go away and come back when someone beats Scooter Libby in the felon stakes, and Obama pardons them.

19. Edwin
    Thumb Down

@Throatwobbler

Of course, it's also possible that the FBI background check *DID* pick this up, but those in question sensibly decided it wasn't relevant.

20. Roger Jenkins

@Once a thief....

A person stole something, yes, they were convicted, again yes. Then in that sense they are forever a thief by definition. However, that doesn't mean that they have continued to steal. I have stolen, yes, I admit it. Sweets (lollies), 'honesty box' money from shops etc., I didn't get caught. Yet I am a person who if I get the wrong change (too much) in a shop reports that fact and gives the excess back. I am not holier than thou, but I am probably no worse than the person in the report or indeed many of the readers here. Petty crime committed many years ago should not bar a person from a job, especially if they have paid for that crime through the court system.

21. David Kesterson
    Happy

Job qualifications

Did he pay taxes on his ill-gotten gains? That's the important question. If he did not, then make him Deputy Secretary of the Treasury.

22. TimNevins

@in

You forgot to also mention the 2004 elections.

Reporters were told if any of them mentioned vote fraud they should clear their desks by morning.

In addition the creator of TruVote was "killed" in a car accident so you can add that to the charge of homocide.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=1711230

23. Red Bren
    Pirate

Fair's fair

He's got a criminal conviction; he's not fit to hold public office. Now give us back the eight years that a drunk driver was in office!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Promote that man!

He sounds like president material!

25. JJS
    Flame

Who cares?

No really, who cares about this at all? It's a mildly interesting footnote at best but certainly not worthy of a whole article.

Bring me more NSFW bootnotes and Playmobil re-enactments, not this crap.

26. raving angry loony

spectrum

I guess "petty thief" in a CIO is better than "alcoholic coke-head deserter" of a previous President though.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Big deal

Who gives a fuck if he stole a couple of shirts, he obviously got his act together after this and now he has a career he probably doesn't need to do it any more.

This topic is closed for new posts.