back to article Dell MacBook Air Adamo officially launched

Following months of teaser specifications, pictures and videos, Dell has finally decided to launch its slim'n'sexy Adamo laptop. Adamo_01 Dell's Adamo: sexy, but is it powerful enough? The machine is the very “pinnacle of craftsmanship” – at least according to Dell - and many media outlets have already dubbed the Adamo as …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Scott Evil
    Paris Hilton

Price check

Try $1999 and $2699

http://www.adamobydell.com/

2. Robert Ramsay
    Joke

but will it...

enable the Galactica to find Earth?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Two grand, actually

The list price in dollars is actually $2000. For a 1.2 Ghz C2D... I love it when pc-makers first come out and complain about how Apple is ripping off their customers, and then they realise that actually thoise customers are the ones bringing in the money, so no wthey will have to come up with some sort of copycat product, which will sell for even more offering even less. But hey, it's not Apple, so it's not a rip-off. Except in Britain, but then, everything is a rip-off in Britain.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Vista?

How big is the refund for when you want to use a proper OS?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Cue...

Cue a barrage of comments from Mac lovers/Dell haters

6. Charlie Stross

Ouch

Since Apple upped the Macbook Air to use an Nvidia chipset, the Air seems to have the edge on CPU speed (1.6 or 1.8Ghz) <em>and</em> graphics performance <em>and</em> weight <em>and</em> price.

The only thing left to the Adamo is the dubious privilege of running Vista, and the battery.

What were they thinking?!?

7. Paul
    Happy

Shouldn't it be...

...Admiral Adamo?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£30 cheaper than Macbook Air...

...if you spec the Air with a 128gb SSD. But then the Air has a 1.6ghz processor compared to the Dell's 1.2ghz and looks a lot nicer.

So which would I buy?

Neither, I'm not made of money. Sheesh.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

£1649!? Seriously?

Sooooo, where are all those MacBook Air naysayers who bemoaned the price?

Clearly Apple did a good job building the MacBook Air at a price which is a good £400 cheaper than Dell. The MBA looks better too...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Plastic packaging? Oh yes, nice! )c:

Plastic packaging? Oh yes, nice! )c:

11. Adam

Discounts

Do you reckon I could get a discount for being called Adam?

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A truly radical machine

The biggest breakthrough on the Adamo appears to be that it doesn't have any 'Intel Inside', 'Core 2 Duo' or 'Designed for Windows Vista' stickers.

And to go with the consensus so far - the Air is a far more handsome beastie.

13. Christopher Cowan

Adamo is great value

Adamo Macbook Air

1.81 kg 1.3kg

1.2 C2D 1.6 C2D

£1645 £1271 with normal HD, £1614 with 128 MB SSD

Oh I forgot you get the squiggles of a bored 14 year old on the silver Adamo and a teak effect look on the black model. Tasteful.

14. A. H. O. Thabeth

£99 for the DVD

The one for the MacBook Air only costs £64.

Only?

But what I really like are the options:-

"Get Started Support, 2 Months limited access to Presto for 2 queries [£49.00 or £2/month1]", and

"PC Installation setup"

By installation do they mean that they put it on your lap for you every time you change location?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@ but will it...

But they have already found earth... but it was nuked many many years ago.

16. adam
    Unhappy

Hey good looking!

I've got to say it looks really nice but it's a little bit too much for me.

17. Steve
    Thumb Down

Fugly

It looks all sharp and pointy, what happened to the nice designs?

I prefer the mini 9 styling's.

18. sleepy

closer to basic macbook?

This is 33% heavier than the Macbook Air, and closer overall to the basic unibody Macbook, which has more features (eg DVD writer) and is much faster (2GHz) at almost half the price, but only 12% more weight compared to Adamo. Still, Dell's Chinese ODM partners have made a reasonable job of copying.

19. Big Bear

@sleepy

Shurely shome mishtake? The unibody Macbook is a grand, which is a third cheaper than this overpriced piece of penigal-extension, whereas the white plastic (multibody?) Macbook is half the price.

Either way, Dell are trying to sell into the luxury machine market… which I would’ve thought their XPS range is, or even their Alienware subsidiary? Though I suppose the only mainstream manufacturer to offer high PC prices are Vaios, though they do have a habit of being we constructed and extremely well equipped for their small sizes.

20. Another Anonymous Coward

Looks like a makeup bag.

The glitzy outer panel detail really does it no favours.

21. Dr_Spain

Aww Guys...

I think it's a decent effort. Looks good but Dell are mental to try and squeeze an R-reg BMW 520's worth out your wallet when, really, it should be aimed squarely are AIR-heads and their pocket.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Adam

Discount? I'd go for a class action for typosquating your name!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, a true Mac Clone

"Slim and sexy, dahling, but mediocre inside?"

Bit like buying a Porsche with a Fiat engine inside.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

Wow, Adamo? Really? You couldn't come up with anything better than that?

25. Aaron
    Gates Horns

@Mike Richards

The required Microsoft and Intel stickers are under a magnetic cover over the laptop's hinge. It's truly, truly sad that being a minion of Microsoft requires these stickers to be plastered on your computer.

Devil Bill for obvious reasons.

26. J
    Coat

*gasp*

Most expensive "netbook" EVER!

27. Mathew White
    Alien

Toilet Seat

Doesn't it look remarkably like a toilet seat from the side?

28. Michael Pearce
    Pirate

Horse Puckey inside

The same thing is wrong with this as is wrong with the Vaio. Nice hardware, turned to crap by Microsoft. If they stated that all models shipped with Ubuntu that would be an improvement, but the reason the MacBook models are so desirable is the inherent superiority of the entire package. No one can compete with Apple on an equal level until they shower themselves clean of Windows.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like