back to article Hollywood retrofits MacGyver into feature flick

American TV action hero and world's greatest improvisational engineer MacGyver is set to hit the big screen — just as soon as Hollywood jerry-rigs a script. New Line Entertainment plans to develop the cult 1980s television series into a feature film that will retrofit MacGyver into a new "global franchise," according to The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Must Have Mullet

It ain't McGyver without the bad hair.

2. John Bayly

Obligatory MacGyver cartoon.

MacGyver gets lazy.

http://xkcd.com/444/

Obligatory MacGyver cartoon.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

jerry-rigs a script

I assume you mean JURY-RIGGED, unless you are trying to imply it will be jerry-built in some strange way.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"retrofit into a new "global franchise,""

I nearly fell off my chair laughing, reading this.

5. Seán

typo

Jury rigged not jerry rigged

6. raving angry loony

they'll ruin it.

If they don't get Richard Dean Anderson for the role then it'll just be another McGruber movie anyway.

Is the I.T. content the fact that most sysadmins are trainee MacGyvers?

7. Haku

But...

..who to take the role of MacGyver? It's not as if RDA is going to step back into the role, he wasn't even around for the last two seasons of Stargate.

I think Jeffrey Donovan could make a pretty good MacGyver, he almost plays a MacGyver character as Michael Weston in Burn Notice anyway.

8. Jeff
    Thumb Down

It all hinges on the main actor

McGyver was never a swarthy action hero, just a bit of a nerd with a talent for getting out of tight spots.

Of course Hollywood will completlely ignore this, cast Vin Diesel and have him create machine guns from the bones of his vanquished enemies.

9. Fozzy

<title>

The script will have all the tell-tale signs of being constructed using a pocket knife, duct tape and a piece of string

10. General A. Annoying

At least...

Patti and Selma will be happy(er)!

Note to Hollywood.

For the love of <insert preferred deity / alien>, stop 'resurrecting' long dead TV shows. Try coming up with an ORIGINAL idea a little more often.

11. The Fuzzy Wotnot
    Thumb Up

Oh for the love of....

JUST STOP IT!

Sick of these pathetic rehashes. Is there no originality left in Hollywood? Sorry, what a stupid question!

Oh wait, I see now ! We've ripped off your movies so much that you're now going to make such utter crap that no one in their right mind, not even the "have to collect all" movie pirates, would touch it with a 10ft barge-pole! The small home movie producers will get bigger audiences and then the studios sit back and pick choose which "home-studios" to buy up, so they don't have to do any work anymore!

12. Gavin

Cameo

They'll have to get a cameo from the worlds two biggest MacGyver fans, Patty and Selma.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Bally Jerry pranged his kite right in the how's your father

But it *is* jerry-rigged, at least in the UK, today. "Jury-rigged" is a bizarre American throwback to the days when slavery was popular; I note that Wikipedia - where you surely got your misinformation - cites the earliest examples from books written by Americans in America. If you're going to base your knowledge of the English language on American sources, you're barking up the wrong tree. Without a paddle.

And I say "fuck you" to the pedants who will moan that I am writing "America" when I mean to write "North America". America = North America. The southern portion of the continent is basically insignificant.

14. Phil

The end of the series sorted this out..

Mac had a son... :)

15. Paul
    Flame

I bet they get...

...Matt Damon. \m/

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Mullets...

I bet it will take more than copper wire, a PVC pipe, a car battery, a pencil, a nickel, and chewing gum to make this movie work without Richard Dean Anderson and his 80's bad hair cut AND a very good script / writer.

(BTW, you can build a rail gun with just the items I mentioned, perhaps? Well, I tried, didn´t I?)

17. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Ashley Pomeroy

Did you even check the references yourself before spouting off:

From http://www.yaelf.com/aueFAQ/mifjrrybltjryrggd.shtml

-----

"jerry-built"/"jury-rigged"

(Word Origins)

"Jury-rigged", which means "assembled in a makeshift manner",

is attested since 1788. It comes from "jury mast", a nautical term

attested since 1616 for a temporary mast made from any available

spar when the mast has broken or been lost overboard. The OED

dubiously recorded a suggestion that this was short for "injury

mast", but recent dictionaries say that it is probably from Old

French _ajurie_="help or relief", from Latin _adiutare_="to aid"

(the source of the English word "adjutant").

"Jerry-built", which the OED defines as "built unsubstantially of

bad materials; built to sell but not last" is attested since 1869,

and is said to have arisen in Liverpool. It has been fancifully

derived from the Biblical city of Jericho, whose walls came tumbling

down; from the prophet Jeremiah, because he foretold decay; from the

name of a building firm on the Mersey; from "jelly", signifying

instability; from French _jour_="day" (workers paid day-by-day

considered less likely to do a good job); and from the Romany

_gerry_="excrement". More likely, it is linked to earlier

pejorative uses of the name Jerry ("jerrymumble", to knock about,

1721; "Jerry Sneak", a henpecked husband, 1764; "jerry", a cheap

beer house, 1861); and it may have been influenced by "jury-rigged".

"Jerry" as British slang for "a German, especially a German

soldier" is not attested until 1898 and is unconnected with

"jerry-built".

-----

So, jury-rigged is older than jerry-built, and jerry-rigged is a bastardisation of the two.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: @Ashley Pomeroy

"So, jury-rigged is older than jerry-built, and jerry-rigged is a bastardisation of the two."

And? It's not as if anyone here was making conversation with the Founding Fathers.

19. Ye Cats
    Stop

Pomeroy is a cabbage short of a crate

Pomeroy old chap, you're speaking bollocks. The quotations cited by Wackypedia are from our very own Oxford English Dictionary. "Jury-mast" (a temporary mast fitted in place of a damaged one) first appears in A Description of New England by Capt. John Smith. Note Capt. Smith came up with the name New England, but he wasn't from it. He was an Englishman. "Jury-rigged" first appears in a book from 1788, by another Englishman, and he was writing about England and Scotland. [Source: OED]

20. Tom
    Coat

@All you posers whining about Hollywood doing nothing original

Nothing original has been written by anyone since Aristotle defined the three types of plays. Everything since then has been derivative of what has come before. Some people have just been more successful at creating interesting variations than others. If you are going to criticize Tinseltown for creating crappy products, criticize them for the crappy part, not the rehash.

21. Johnny FireBlade
    IT Angle

Script

"just as soon as Hollywood jerry-rigs a script."

MacGuyver could make a script out of a tin of beans and a piece of string.

22. Scott

One-line post that doesn't need a title.

What will he make with his Swiss-Army wheelchair?

23. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Danger Will Robinson!

Buried somewhere within this article is some nugget, gem, pearl or other organic/geological artifact of great value or terrifying import that the author has concealed behind the blinding glare of a cunningly placed malapropism!

We may have missed some great revelation or covert communique between shady collaborateurs! Our doom or fortune may ride on someone finding the fortitude and strength of will to resist the draw of that misspoken atrocity!

Oh. A MacGyver movie? What a load of old bullocks!

24. Michael Sheils
    Stop

MacGyver is already back on out screens

It's called Burn Notice.

This topic is closed for new posts.