back to article Reg called more balanced than Wired

Our recent story on government data mining in Singapore drew a letter form Dave Snowden, Founder and Chief Scientific Officer of Cognitive Edge, which is involved in the project. Says Dave: I have just been passed your article in The Register on Singapore's RAHS project, which is slightly more balanced that the Wired article, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars

Eureka....?

Nice One, Dave. It is hard not to see the RAHS Model as being/becoming the de facto Model of Choice and Change for Intelligents.

2. Terry Yohnka

Not sure I want to know but I will ask anyway

Is your software data mining model capable of dealing with irrational decision making and things like the Dual Iranian governments? (Now that you brought them up)

The "elected" and the Revolutionary Guard shadow government for example.

Either of which can apparently make major decisions without the other.

Sort of like the US Executive and Legislative branches at the moment (except Congress doesn't have it own military)

Patterning the irrational high level decisions would seem more in the human province than in the realm of software.

I must just be old fashioned but software that could pattern / predict the actions of some of our leaders could scare me almost as much as they do!

3. Dave Snowden

Response to Terry

Thanks for the question Terry. Firstly, its not data mining in the sense of the original article. The case of Iran is an interesting one as we just did some work on that. A conventional approach attempts to define the intent, capacity, strategy etc of the Iranian Government. The software we have developed instead allows a human operater to view material about the Iranian Government as a landscape, from different perspectives. The purpose here is to prevent steriotyping, and enable a decision maker to see opportunities, by which a new or novel solution can be found by sensing weak signals, or opportunities to act differently. I can't really explain it in detail in a paragraph but a paper will go up on our web site in about a months time.

This topic is closed for new posts.