back to article Content - not tech - delaying possible Sky 3D channel

Content, rather than technical issues, is holding back the launch of a 3D TV offering by broadcaster Sky, Register Hardware has learned. It was recently reported that Sky’s Chief Engineer, Chris Johns, had suggested that homes could see 3D TV by Christmas – but whether Johns’ meant specifically from Sky, or was talking in a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stuart Hurst
    Unhappy

Since when has lack of content stopped sky?

Sky sold HD on the pretext that they broadcast HD content on HD Channels, yet, they are more often than not still standard defination.

2. Mark H

My HDTV now obsolete?

So my current HDTV is shortly to be obsolete?

Can't see this taking off all that rapidly with people probably just having forked out for HD. In 5 or 10 years though it could be all the rage. Could work very well with the next generation of games consoles perhaps.

3. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Stop

Gimmick, pure and simple.

If you can't see behind things when you move your viewpoint; if you have to suffer blurry images or wear silly spectacles; or if you get a splitting headache watching it, it's not really 3d.

But no doubt the chattering classes will be happy to shell out the extra dosh.

Mine's the one with the pocket full of soma.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Next Gen Games Consoles?

Next Gen? This Gen more like, sony already did a tech demo of 3D gaming on a PS3 , coming via HDMI to a suitable T.V. Doubtless if Sky and Sony can do it on existing hardware then microsoft should be able to provide the same on the Xbox 360

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Another tenner a month?

I'm still pondering Sky's HD package wondering if it's worth shelling out another tenner on top of the already high price I pay for Sky+. If a channel containing 3D does air then I can see an 'upgrade' cost plus another ten per month for the 'sky 3d mix' with lots of channels no-one wants to watch.

Saying that, I dream of a day when a 'Discovery HD 3D' channel is started cos that'll be awesome.

----

Paris, because Paris looks better in 3D.

6. George Shaw

So...

.....how does this work... it's not just a stupid rehash of green and red specs is it... if it is then I assume they are taking the piss....

if it's not full colour holographic 3D that I can walk around, then I'm not interested....

7. Elmer Phud

Heard this before?

"could see 3D TV by Christmas "

It'll all be over by Christmas - but which one?

8. David Gosnell

Re: My HDTV now obsolete?

That game's been played for the last five years anyway, with some new tempter being thrown into the mix every couple of months to either fleece the gullible of their money for the same thing done differently or persuade the more prudent to hold off and stick with their 425 lines (OK, exaggerating slightly) thankyouverymuch. Even in this case, Sky have waved the temptation that 3D might be possible without stupid glasses in the not too distant future, so may as well wait a bit longer, and hope there's actually some content to see by then - by which time something else will be just round the corner, etc etc.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

3d WITHOUT the specs

has been possible for 4years +

http://www.pcworld.com/article/117303/sharp_ships_3d_monitor.html

10. Elmer Phud
    Alien

@ George Shaw

"if it's not full colour holographic 3D that I can walk around, then I'm not interested...."

Bloody Trekkies!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like