back to article Wall Street: Google, Apple good - Palm, AMD bad

The ongoing Meltdown is not only causing turmoil in global finance and manufacturing, it's also transforming how money-men rank and rate market fitness. Cases in point: There are rumblings on Wall Street about revamping the membership of the 113-year-old Dow Jones industrial average (DJIA), the closely watched barometer of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

Huh?

not the types of companies you'd want to rely upon as predictors of US market success.

Sounds EXACTLY like good predictors of the U.S. economy.

This besides the fact that I don't think this is what the dow does / should relect in any case. or the alternative methods of determining what's included such as total market capitalisation, most widespread share holder allocation, fasted risers, faster fallers

The fact that they will go bamkrupt DUE TO THEIR MISMANAGEMENT will cause them to disappear from the stockmarket eventually or at least minimise their impact in any case.

They just want to sell a positive story and you have bought this at face value.

2. Fozzy
    Pirate

So in other words

just like the banks we don't like the numbers that are being reported, so we're just going to change them. Nohting to see here move along now, move along

3. sleepy

Or is this just a trick . . .

. . .. to use survivorship bias to make us put our savings into the stock market?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorship_bias

4. Ken Hagan Gold badge
    Paris Hilton

"predictors of US market success"

Wall Street. Oh yeah, they know *loads* about finance. They're *so* fscking smart, they are.

Seriously, is *anyone* still taking their predictions seriously? Have we not had *enough* experimental evidence that they know jack shit about nothing and should no more be trusted to make investment decisions than the gunk I scraped off my shoe this morning?

Paris, coz I trust her financial genius more than I trust these idiots.

5. xjy
    Paris Hilton

A Pox...

... on all their trousers!

Jump, you bastards, jump!

(Paris, cos she makes more palatable stuff come onto trousers...)

This topic is closed for new posts.