back to article Sennheiser MM50 for iPhone stereo headset

Sennheiser launched the MM50 last year, but it's just re-issued the set, this time in white as well as black, and with a nod toward Apple's iPod Touch and new MacBook laptops as well as the iPhone, which the 'phones were originally designed for. Sennheiser MM50 for iPhone Sennheiser's MM50: tub-thumpers' delight? The MM50s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Sebastian Ware
    Go

Had my MM50 for two months

I have used a pair of MM50 daily for two months and I think they are great! And I actually prefer some of the features that aren't appreciated in this review, probably because I mainly use it as a handsfree.

I had previously two revisions of the V-Moda headset, both littered with design and build quality problems (the jack failed after two weeks on both, the cylindrical mic always pointed in the wrong direction and the on/off button was hardly locatable at all -- not even on the second revision). So I tried the MM50.

-Nice sound

-Nice weight and fit (works very well under a helmet when snowboarding)

-Reasonable mic (sometimes too low volume, don't know if it is the MM50 or iPhone)

-Asymetric cords -- I LOVE IT -- the rubber on the cords makes it stick and earphone at the end anchors nicely around the neck (typical handsfree setup)

-The on/off button is easily operated without looking at the mic, even with leather gloves

-The cord tangles a lot less than the v-moda

I have experienced that the buds yank out of the ear, but only when I catch the cord. I find that the rubberised cords actually reduce the "pull" from clothing (when used as a handsfree).

My verdict would be that this is a solid everyday handsfree which is also great for listening to music. If you use it mainly as a stereo headset and only occasionally to talk, I can imagine that you might find better alternatives.

2. Andrew Gordon

maybe I'm unlucky but...

Bought these for my iphone about a fortnight ago. Like having the dedicated button which lets me turn the music on, pause it, and jump tracks without having to take the phone out of my pocket (and in a london winter, my fingers out of my gloves). Oh, also useful for answering the phone.

However.... this is the second pair of sennheiser's where the left speaker has a volume about 10% of the right. Wasn't like this when it first came out of the packet, but 2 weeks later they are basically broken.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cable noise

"the vibrations travelling along the cord to your ears, where they're seemingly amplified because the rubber sleeves are blocking out the noise that would otherwise baffle them"

That's not the case - the cable noise is more intrusive whatever the level of background sound, as you would easily find out by doing a comparison in a quiet room. I guess the noise is coupled straight into your skull by the hard parts of the headphones which contact your skin, or is re-transmitted into the air inside the ear canal by making the whole earpiece shake due to its small mass.

4. Matt Owen
    Flame

Stock iPod ear-phones

It's not that the stock ipod ear-phones are bad, it's that they seem to leak more music into the air around you, than into your ears. Mostly when I'm standing within 5 feet of someone with an ipod and the stock 'phones i can always hear exactly what song they are listening to. Of course on Londons tubes and trains, 5 feet apart from your fellow commuter is a physical impossibility, so I say this to ALL iPod users who are still using those leaky-noisy stock ear-phones (the one's it came with) - GO OUT AND BUY SOME DECENT EAR-PHONES. Please. Or I'll have to stab you with my brolly...

Thanks,

-Jar

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Good for the HTC Touch HD too!

I had these delivered from Amazon today for my HTC Touch HD and they're great! The stock HTC headphones were designed with giants or dumbo-eared individuals in mind as the phones themselves are HUGE and uncomfortable.

With the HTC, though, the mic button has no functionality when using the MP3 player. When using the phone, it can be used to answer calls, a short press puts the call on hold and a long press hangs it up. Otherwise, when there's no call in progress and no incoming call a long press on the button brings up the voice dial function.

Definitely a good buy and far cheaper than the article suggests - got mine for just over £37!!

6. Ian Ferguson
    Unhappy

I have these

or last year's version, anyway. Great sounding headphones but the snagging problem is incredibly annoying. I find the rubbery texture of the cables create a ratchett effect on the inside of my coat, pulling the cable down slowly as i walk along, until I have to yank a length of cord up at the top to free up my head.

The button/microphone is very badly placed - it continually catches on my collar and yanks the left-hand earpiece out.

Having said that, I'm not sure what could be done to improve these problems - smoother cables would move easier but pick up more rustling noise, and the microphone can't really go anywhere else...

7. Darren Burrows
    Thumb Up

Good 'phones

I've had these for a couple of months - the button aside, I can't fault them at all.

The sound is a lot more pleasing to me than the Bose in ears I was using previously and like Sebastian, I prefer the asymmetric cord.

Not had chance to try the mic yet, partly out of the fact it seems to hang a hell of a lot further from my mouth than the mic on the standard iPhone headphones.. Still dislike the tiny, hard to feel for button on these though.. The amount of misclicks I make when I do find it is an annoyance too, since I often find myself stopping tracks by accident, rather than skipping on or back as intended.

8. Euan Brodie
    Happy

Loop the other way and all is good

If you look the headphones around the back of your neck then the different lengths make more sense. Also that way you can easily run the cord down under your shirt to your pocket where its nicely stashed. Saves having to faff around trying to loop the buggers over the backs of your ear. :)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like