back to article AOL starts swinging the axe

Sackings for AOL's workforce-decimation scheme have begun, according to a report at Silicon Alley Insider. AOL workers began receiving emails yesterday afternoon from management asking them to attend an "Important Meeting Tuesday" – predictably where the axe awaits. Time Warner's failing internet division expects to lay off …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. MacRat

Growth?

Does anyone use AOL for anything other than AIM?

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

You've got mail...

but no job... See ya!

Now who honestly didn't see that one coming?

I chose the IT? because seriously, what did AOL ever mean in the grand scheme if real IT? As for Time Warner... Talk about a company that could f*ck up a two car parade... The UK has BT in all of its dishonor (dishonour?)... We're stuck with the bastards at Time Warner and I'd trade you them plus a case of your favorite ale for BT in a heartbeat!

3. Mike

AOL?

I thought they had gone long ago, when the mountain of AOL CD's stopped pouring in through my letterbox and with every single magazine I had.

Come to think of it, I do very occasionally see a AOL IP in the logs. Very very rarely now though.

4. the Accountant
    Coat

Ten per cent

Pleased to see the term "decimation" used in the correct manner.

Mine's the one with the correct apostrophe.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

(untitled)

"AOL workers began receiving emails yesterday afternoon from management asking them to attend an "Important Meeting Tuesday" – predictably where the axe awaits."

LOL hope they wern't using AOL email or the meeting room will be empty except for an axe.

What sort of axe? Fender? Les Paul? 59 sunburst?

6. Daniel B.
    Go

Re: AOL?

I always wondered how many people were stupid enough to pay $20/month for *dialup* when broadband was around that price tag. Fortunately, their venture into Mexico failed miserably, as Telmex (basically, the Mexican equivalent of BT) already owned the home dialup market. Another contributing factor is that Mexicans are wary of giving away their credit card number, so most AOL retaining tactics fail on either capturing or retaining users.

The only thing I'll be sad to lose is ICQ.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like