back to article Feds file new felonies against alleged Palin hacker

A University of Tennessee student accused of illegally breaking into the email account of Alaska governor Sarah Palin has been hit with three new felony charges in connection with the case. David Kernell on Monday pleaded not guilty to the new charges, which include fraud, unlawful electronic transmission of material outside …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

"Hacker website"

4chan may be many things, few of them good. But to call it a hacker website is both to miss the point and to heap far more praise upon it than it deserves.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Won't somebody please think of the taxes!

How much time and money do they want to spend prosecuting a trivial prankster? Is this just people making work for themselves to improve their job security?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Hacker website?

Shouldn't that be ebaumsworld.com?

They are hackers on steroids!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF

Isn't it kind of late to be inventing new charges? These guys must be using a Swedish prosecution manual.

5. NozeDive
    Paris Hilton

"Hacker Websire"

I agree with the Anonymous poster ahead of me... 4chan is not a hacker website. That's crazy! It's that type of haphazard lableing that causes so many misconceptions about hacking and comnputing in general.

Paris Hilton because...

I think we know why.

6. Hombre sin nombre

I'm sure 4chan will be elated

to hear that it is a hacker website now.

7. Frank

Publicly available information?

If someone uses publicly available information (the well known fact that I keep my doorkey under the doormat) to get into my house, then it's still a crime, no matter how stupid you believe me to be.

The only defense I can think of is that the person did so in the belief that they could prevent loss of life or injury to other persons, or some kind of obvious disaster. I'll leave it up to others to complete this paragraph..... :)

8. raving angry loony

typical

Meanwhile, Palin has been charged with fuck all even after it was shown that she was using non-compliant systems to do State business. In other words, she was using ILLEGAL methods of communication in order to circumvent State tracking and auditing. But nothing will happen to her, because the elected judges don't want to rock the boat. Nice system they have over there. If you're poor you face 20 years in jail, if you're rich you get to do what ever the fuck you want. So much for "by the people, for the people".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmmm

Has anyone gone after Palin? She used a public email system to conduct State business, which is illegal? Second, it was not truly a hack, he used basic social engineering to guess her password. And to think she was almost going to be Vice President.. God help us

10. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

unauthorized access of a protected computer?

If I set up root with an ssh password of wordpass, when I get pwned, can I still claim the computer was protected?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

So now El Reg's reporting standards are up there with Fox News'?

Mine's the one with the keys to the yellow van in the pocket.

12. Apocalypse Later

Imagine the outrage...

...if a Democratic candidate's email account had been hacked and the contents exposed online, by the son of a Republican politician. This is only being given the "trivial" treatment in the media because they are largely in the tank for the left.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

And what about Palin?

Will she be facing charges for using a Yahoo! account for official business? Thought not.

One law for us, one law for them. This just reinforces my opinion that all politicians are self-serving, deceitful, immoral, scum.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ AC 11:43

You new round the parts, boy?

15. dv
    Paris Hilton

@anon 11:43

You must be new here...

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Apocalypse Later

"This is only being given the "trivial" treatment in the media because they are largely in the tank for the left."

Where did you acquire the delusion that the US Democrat party is on the left? Both your main parties are right wing. The only difference between them seems to be that one is a donkey and the other is an elephant.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

a moment of clarity...

--The person that 'hacked' into Palin's mail acct. should be given the misdemeanor slap on the wrist that a hack of this sort deserves, no matter the celebrity of the target.

--It's time to stop wasting taxpayer money on this circus.

--The 'hacker' actually did the world somewhat of a public service, by exposing how stupid Palin really is.

--Someone needs to investigate Palin's use of a personal email account (with atrocious security practices) for the conducting of official business, if only to prevent this techno-illiterate fool from making the same mistake again.

18. Ron Eve

@ AC 11:43

The time to worry is when you CAN comprehend his comments.

19. Apocalypse Later

@AC

"Where did you acquire the delusion that the US Democrat party is on the left? Both your main parties are right wing."

Left and right in politics are relative. The Democrats are left of the Republicans. No one in the US votes for New Labour, so the position of UK parties on the scale is not relevant. And these are not "my" parties. I am British.

Heartening news for Britain and Europe generally- read this story:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&refer=columnist_hassett&sid=amhpOT5rlR1Y

20. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Re: Imagine the outrage...

Oh wow that makes me mad! I have half a mind to write a sternly worded response.

21. BioTube

@AC

"Where did you acquire the delusion that the US Democrat party is on the left? Both your main parties are right wing. The only difference between them seems to be that one is a donkey and the other is an elephant."

This is a question of differentiation. Simply put, we distinguish the fine differences; it's understandable that you don't since, if you believe the hype, your main parties are roughly the equivalents of the Bolsheviks and the NDSAP.

22. Roland
    Black Helicopters

Re: @ AC 11:43

I'm wearing my tinfoil hat, just in case...

I don't see the comment people are talking about! First Symantec cleaning up their forum, now The Reg?

23. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: @ AC 11:43

What do you mean 'now the Reg'? It's called moderating. I have my waders on and industrial-strength rubber gloves every day. Someone else took that one down though. It was mostly gibberish, so you weren't missing much.

24. Walking Turtle
    Happy

Thanks Sarah,

I was looking for that one too and figgered as much. Good to have the confirm, though!

Ah. Coat.

25. Seán

@Apoxyclip late

The "stupid lie" approach you favour is a purely american device. In the EU stupidity and lying are not considered valid gambits. Save that for the likes of Billy O'Reilly, Limbaugh and that creature of the night Anne Coulter. It is kind of creepy to see your comment I can picture you slowly typing it in (or copy and pasting it) chewing with your mouth open stinking of religion with your confederate flag keyfob. Very unpleasant.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like