back to article Huawei unwraps 21Mb/s HSDPA dongle

Modem maker Huawei has introduced an HSDPA dongle with a slide-out USB connector. Not only that, but it supports monster download speeds The E182E supports HSDPA 3G data transfers of up to 21.6Mb/s - provided the network can manage it, of course. That's the downlink - upload speeds run to 5.76Mb/s, Huawei said. Huawei E812E …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jason McQueen

Good, but pointless.......here

Shame there arent the networks here to take advantage of that speed.

2. Kevin

We have a network!

<aside>I'm guessing it's an HSPA+ dongle and not an HSDPA dongle</aside>

@Jason McQueen - Come to Australia - Telstra's 805MHz NextG network is 21Mbps HSDPA, first demonstrated locally last year, launched at Barcelona and officially in the Guineess Book of Records. They peaked at about 19, and sustained 15 to 17 at MWC. In real life, you'll get between 1 & 8Mbps typically.

Devices should be available around about now - Sierra Wireless, Qualcomm, Ericsson & Telstra have been crowing about it.

They're promising 42Mbps by the end of the year.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

@Kevin

What's the point? Firewall and filters will block anything you download anyway.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Will it work this time?

Having sent back three bricked Huawei modems and given up & returned to using WiFi I would ask if this one will be set up properly when it finally sells in UK. Two vodafone PAYG modems I brought both failed to work, after installing software on my laptop neither would boot up as modems, according to the shop neither accessed its SIM card. Since they could offer no explanation, nothing in the way of ideas after the second one I tried O2 with a similar result. The thing accessed WiFi sites and apppeared as a 3G modem just long enough for me to buy £15 worth of airtime before dying. Helpful guy on the phone line suggested taking it to the shop for testing. Tailors Dummy at the shop was programmed only to exchange them so Another refund was called for.

Personally i would prefer Huawei stopped stuffing memory, sliding USB contacts and other unnecessary frippery in these things and just got the modem bit to work properly.

Might help if O2 and Vodafone took a look at the installation software and SIM card programming as well. I can't speak for other vendors selling these things as I have rather gone off the concept and will wait till the technology gets some reliability.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Flakey Routine

Huawei modems installation routine is quite simple but I don't think there are many fail safes for some more restrictive or real world environments it may encounter.

Most problems with the device can be easily fixed, it's just that people try and troubleshoot a modem and not a USB device and it's usually the USB portion that causes issue's not the actual modem.

That said I still prefer Option devices over Huawei, although their first USB modems are just as fault prone as the earlier Huawei ones we're. That's why I still run an Option PCMCIA device, and will probably go to Option ExpressCard next time. I don't need a modem to install software when I can carry a driver package/dashboard on a USB stick.

@Anonymous Coward Posted Thursday 5th March 2009:

Just choose your operator wisely and use a VPN. Normal HTTP etc. on a UK mobile operator is often filtered or optimised, your VPN tunnel won't be. Of course you could just setup a remote box for downloading and simply VPN or SSH into it when mobile.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like