back to article Intel aims open source at your car

Intel and a group of leading automotive-industry manufacturers have formed a non-profit group to develop and promote an open-source reference platform for In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) systems. When Intel announced earlier this week that it was developing a set of Atom processors specifically for the automotive market, it did …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

But how can they?

Don't Microsoft hold all the patents on modular in car computer systems?

2. Steve Evans

@AC

I don't know, do they? I'd be interested to see the date on those given the huge amount of "previous art" that exists.

Then again, since when did that ever stop anyone getting a patent in the states!

3. Scott

Thumbnail Picture

Don't Ferrari F1 use AMD?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Oh gods no

I need infotainment in the car like I need a hole in the head. Radio/CD, sure. Anything else (and I include hands-free) can piss right off. GPS? Never needed it. I have this amazing skill called "map reading". It works a treat and doesn't need batteries.

Cars are dangerous enough with all the retards who think they can talk and drive at the same time; never mind adding even more distractions.

5. Nicholas Wright
    Paris Hilton

@AC

> Cars are dangerous enough with all the retards who think they can talk and drive at the same

> time

How about those that drive and read maps at the same time?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@ Steve Evans

Microsoft would have you believe that their patents cover just about anything to do with computers in cars, and they are obviously guff and the usual sort of crap that the US patent office seems to just rubber stamp without putting a brain cell to use.

But the thing is that this new "open platform" uses Linux (which of course MS says infringes their patents too) and so many of the proposals for the platform seem to jump right up and down all over the other patents that MS are suing TomTom about. The platform can't licence any of the patents from MS as that would stop it being open.

So I presume that MS will immediately sue the GENIVI Alliance (who sound like something out of Star Trek) over their obvious planned infringement of MS's patents. If they don't do or say anything then it says a lot about their lawsuit against TomTom - i.e. its pointless and without merit and just being done as strong arm bully toy tactics because MS have a total fail when it comes to that part of the market..

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like