back to article Koobface variant worms across social networking sites

A new strain of the Koobface worm is spreading across social networking sites including Facebook, MySpace and Bebo. The malware posts invitations to the friends of infected users inviting them to view a video. The linked website tries to trick prospective marks into believing they need an updated version of Adobe Flash Player …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Chris iverson

koobface

am I the only one that read that originally as knobface?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Via spam, not from Facebook friends

I've seen one of these messages come in this afternoon- but it didn't come through facebook, it was just direct spam. It didn't use my facebook email address, and it didn't come from any of my facebook friends. On logging directly into facebook, there's no sign of any messages waiting to be dealt with.

Anyone else seen any signs that theirs actually came through facebook? If not, it seems harsh to say it is "spreading across social networking sites" - you could then equally well report that phishing emails are "spreading across major banking sites".

4. Jodo Kast
    Stop

Until Facebook takes security seriously...

I may have to recommend to everyone I know: Delete your facebook account.

If facebook can't be responsible, and do nothing but offer excuses for lack of security, then they should be avoided at all costs.

They seem to be listening to users only when they want to... perhaps another exodus will convince them to take security seriously.

It's amazing how reckless they are.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

old news

One of my friends (who does filming) appeared to send something like this a good 3 months ago. It looked odd, but I was tired and clicked the update (then noticed the urls etc looked wrong, and swore). Avast caught whatever it was coming in. It still managed to reset my browser, but Combofix sorted that out.

yay Combofix and Avast

6. Matt Bradley

@Chris iverson

No.

7. Algernon
    Go

Until Facebook takes security seriously...

@Jodo Kast

I may have to recommend to everyone I know: Delete your Internet account.

If the Internet can't be responsible, and do nothing but offer excuses for lack of security, then they should be avoided at all costs.

They seem to be listening to users only when they want to... perhaps another exodus will convince them to take security seriously.

It's amazing how reckless they are.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like