back to article Iron Mountain punts subterranean data storage

Iron Mountain - well-known for storing paper records and tape cartridges in secured holes in the ground - has started up an underground cloud-based Virtual File Service. The cloud is truly subterranean, being based on an underground data centre in the USA. Calling it "the industry's first enterprise solution (sic) for cloud- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

You might also...

...want to make sure the bills have been paid, coz if they aren't, due to muppetry somewhere in The System, Iron Maiden will cut off your service without warning.

Guess how we know this.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not to mention

When you do a supprise visit you find warehouses full of dust and your company tapes in cardboard boxes (when you exclusively use Turtle crates.)

That warehouse they allowed to burn down in (IIRC) the East End of london.

Employees that can't understand, no matter how many times you tell them, that your software outputs in American Date format. When you question why your libraries are half empty, it turns out that they were intending to return tapes on the UK date format dates, with no checking that there aren't more than 12 months in a year...

Anon for obvious reasons...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

This project is totally

blowing my mind. A cloud. Stored underground. Wow. Is that fog?

4. amanfromMars Silver badge

More like Mother Hubbard's cupboard....

"This project is totally blowing my mind. A cloud. Stored underground. Wow. Is that fog?" .... By Anonymous Coward Posted Wednesday 4th March 2009 10:16 GMT

No, AC, it is not. It is FUD.

5. Charlie Barnes

Well...

"...want to make sure the bills have been paid, coz if they aren't, due to muppetry somewhere in The System, Iron Maiden will cut off your service without warning."

You get what you pay for. Oh wait you didn't. Pay that is.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Just hope...

they have a good fire detection system...

Two of their warehouses went up in smoke in 2007 - yes AC, one in East London and the other in Canada

7. Yorkshirepudding
    Boffin

Ummmm

salt mines in cheshire? closer to home? anyone?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC

They did have a good fire protection system, they just left it switched off...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC

"They did have a good fire protection system, they just left it switched off..."

Silly me. of course they did.

And of course the rumours that some VERY important paperwork (contrary to statements at the time) went up in smoke are totally unfounded...

10. 4irw4y

Hot Wet Cloud Vision

"It is FUD" -

Anyone're from Scotland? (-:

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hole in the ground

Anyone tried retrieving physical documents out of Iron Mountain? I'm convinced their "secured holes in the ground" are in fact "land fills"

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

@Charlie Barnes

It may be a little old-fashioned to expect a company to send a reminder about unpaid bills before suspending the service, but if BT, British Gas, Thames Water et al can manage it, I fail to see why Iron Maiedn can't do likewise.

13. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

what shoddy reporting and poor reasoning!

1. "650,00 customer records lost": what on earth does this number mean?

2. This is an apples and oranges argument if I ever heard one. What does physically transporting a tape in a truck from a customer site to a storage facility have to do with storing electronic data in a data center online? This is like saying that, because the mail is sometimes slow, paying my bills online will be slow also. I mean, huh?

3. If you expect perfection from any vendor, I think you're going to be disappointed. Yes, a few items are lost occasionally. But out of how many transactions? Millions? Tens of millions? Hundreds of millions? The Register doesn't report that part, but that's the kind of real information IT needs to make good decisions.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like