back to article Brit pair convicted for high-tech bank heist gone bad

Two men have been convicted for trying to steal £229m from the London branch of a Japanese bank in an elaborate, high-tech scheme that would have been Britain's biggest bank heist. Hugh Rodley, 61, of Twyning, Tewksbury was found guilty in Snaresbrook crown court of conspiracy to defraud and conspiracy to transfer criminal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jai

invalid swifts?

swifts aren't really that complicated - they're a bit odd to someone who's never dealt with them before, perhaps, but not rocket science

if you've gone to all the effort of planning this kind of caper, how could you possibly let such a fundamental part of the plan go wrong?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So what pray tell

Were these "elementary" mistakes? I don't want to make them myself :P

/anon so I dont make elementary mistake No. 1 :P

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All to tell that ends well.

It's always the same - bumbling crooks failed in biggest ever fraud attempt due to schoolboy errors.

Makes me wonder, how many unreported cases where the crooks actually got away with it?

Although, I dont suppose the banks will ever admit to the true scale of that problem.

4. Andus McCoatover
    Coat

Fools and horses?

"Rodley, you're a complete Plonker" springs to mind...

OK. Mine's the one with the bulletproof vest.

5. Danny

Bank of Where

When I worked at SWIFT I was told the tale of the mafia gang who had invented a fictious island nation, complete with lots of supporting national websites and mentions on forums. Their 'national bank' applied for SWIFT membership and the scam was only caught because someone eventually looked at an atlas.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too greedy

Even if they filled out the forms correctly, multi-million dollar/pound/euro international transfers get noticed rather quickly. It's better to move just a couple thousand every week or two so it looks like a regular payment to some outsourced contractor. You can keep that up for years before anyone catches on, at which point your money-laundering system should have become so complex that they'll never get through it.

7. LPF
    Paris Hilton

The thing with swift

Is that it is used for huge transactions, and with the money flows during the day , then this would have have been noticed, before the money had been moved on. Or drawn out as a bankers draft, etc.

But yeah to plan this and then make a mistake in entering the swifth data is only fools and horses

level of stupidity!

Paris, because even she would not have made this mistake

8. Neoc

Re: All to tell that ends well.

@Jesus Puncher: "Makes me wonder, how many unreported cases where the crooks actually got away with it?"

None. By definition, you're not a crook unless someone notices. ^_^

9. P. Lee
    Pirate

Wot no two-factor authentication?

Its quite handy for defeating keyloggers of this sort.

re: All to tell that ends well. - they didn't steal enough. If you can remove a few billion you're called a "Captain of Industry," even if people find out.

Pirates, obviously

10. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

Ah, technology!

Get admin rights - check

Install keylogger - check

Retrieve passwords - check

Fill in form - oooh. Not done one of these before. Does it have to be in block capitals, do you think? And what format do they want the date?

11. Joe K

Great stuff

I just hope those on-the-ball admin staff who saved hundreds of millions haven't been laid off or offshored to India since the Meltdown.

12. Steve Swann
    Pirate

£226m quid?

...that'll cover their annual bonuses then.

13. GD

Hardware

I think they've used hardware keyloggers and didn't installed any software on the actual box.

14. Stevie

Bah

I hear they were, at the time of capture, planning The Other Other Operation.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@ Bah.............Dinsdale? Dinsdale?

Watch out, it's Spiny Norman !!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like