back to article Lenovo IdeaPad S10e netbook

Ah, netbooks... everybody is making them - cue Psion lawyers - and everyone wants one. Yet despite the stiff competition, Acer and Asus combined own around 70 per cent of the market. So what are the rest of them doing so wrong? Not distinguishing themselves well enough, if the Lenovo IdeaPad S10e is anything to go by. Lenovo …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. REMF

good review - great netbook

i have owned one of these for about four months now.

i bought it because it was the smallest physical shall that contained a 10" screen, as this is what matters to me in a netbook above all else; diminutive size.

i can recommend it to all except netbook gamers who might find the vertical screen resolution of 576 pixels an impediment.

operation flashpoint from GoG works great tho.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Value

"At £249, it's competitively priced and worthy of consideration. If you need extra battery life, consider the similarly specced Samsung NC10, with double the battery life, for only £50 more."

£50 represents an increase of over 20%... on the other hand, I guess it's the cost of a good 3 course meal with wine...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

why 16:10 and not 16:9

Thought the justification of 16:10 format for PC monitors was that you could display a 16:9 video fullscreen and have enough pixels left over to show a status bar/control buttons underneath.

4. Anton Ivanov
    Coat

Small range of viewing angles is actually good

For those of us who work on public transport this is actually a must-have feature. My HP screen has nearly 180 degrees visibility which means that all people sitting next to me can read it. I would gladly change it for a screen with under 30 degree viewing angle.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No 3G

Is that a general statement and a limitation of Linux, or just this netbook?

How about doing a round-up of 3G services? I quite like the look of these netbooks, but I ma not going to buy one if it will cost me £50 a month in service charges. I'll run XP if I have to.

6. Bronek Kozicki
    Go

PC Card and 3G?

"PC Card slot - does anyone use these any more?" - yes, of course. For 3G cards, much more convenient than USB dongles, as they do not stick out this much!

7. Daniel Barnes

Fair review

I've been using the S10e for about two weeks now, it's about the same as all the other netbooks on the market. I find the build quality and keyboard feel slightly better than most models. OSX runs a treat on it as well, bar the wired ethernet.

8. Funky Gibbon

I don't get it ...

.. this company inherited the smallest navigation device around, ie the pointing stick (aka the nipple) and they don't use on a compact computer. Smells of a re-badge methinks.

9. Nikola

Little red thumbsticks?

I was really hoping that with the Lenovo offering, we'd finally have a netbook with what seems the most logical of input devices - those little red thumbsticks/mini-joysticks from the Thinkpad series; they take no space whatsoever, and while non-technical users do take a little while to get used to them, they're faster and much more precise (try selecting a specific pixel or drawing a straight line accross the screen, not to mention every-day operations like dragging icons etc on a pad). I can't believe there's a prohibitive cost or structural problem with placing them in netbooks - so why is it that none of them have it, even as a secondary option?

First company that produces a netbook with one of those has my money; otherwise, I just can't see myself spending actual cash on a device with a tiny, imprecise, aggravating input method that basically forces me to install a mouse :(

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC No 3G

It's just that splashtop doesn't have support for 3G dongles built in. Most dongles work fine under linux, but depending on the dongle and the distro you might need to get the helper app from here:

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

11. dee mak
    Coat

Who decided to swap the Ctrl and Fn keys?

"Who decided to swap the Ctrl and Fn keys?"= Nobody. This is the absolutely normal layout at all IBM / Lenovo keyboards.. like the one i'm typing now...

12. Spode

3G

Hi Chaps,

The latest Ubuntu works a treat with every 3G dongle I've tried, even the Split-Mode ones. I was merely saying that SplashTop didn't support it - which is a big down side.

As far as the lack of nipple - remember that this is not a ThinkPad branded laptop - it's a Lenovo :) Personally, I love the nipples and would have liked to have seen one!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like