back to article Don't do a Bush on stem cells, urge MPs, scientists, doctors

MPs have warned that the UK government's proposed ban on hybrid embryos could damage UK science, and charged that it will restrict development of life-saving stem cell treatments. The accusation comes from the Science and Technology Select Committee, which today published a report (pdf) on the regulation of hybrid and chimera …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'The Newcastle embryos would have been 99.9 per cent human, and 0.1 per cent bovine.'

By a spooky coincidence, these are exactly the reverse of the proportions in the average New Labour backbencher

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think many will see this as the thin end of the wedge: setting a precedent. How big a percentage is necessary before diseases start jumping across the species ?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Give up, and spend your energy where the results are actually coming from

When are these "scientists" going to get over their egos and look at the facts? Other branches of stem cell research (i.e. cells from non-embryonic sources) are delivering impressive results thick and fast. Actually useful cures from embryonic stem cell research? None, that I know of. If they spent more time following the promising leads and less time destroying human life, everyone would benefit.

This topic is closed for new posts.