back to article Nokia releases cuter Qt

Nokia has released the first major update to Qt since it acquired Trolltech a year ago, with licensing and features to increase the application and UI framework's appeal. Qt 4.5 is now available under the Lesser General Public License (GPL) for the first time, in addition to the GPL and two commercial licenses sported by older …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jay Jaffa
    Happy

Nokia - the OS/2 of the mobile space?

The writing's n the wall for both Nokia and Microsoft. The iPhone and Android are the death knell of both environments from a developer perspective - which, as well all know, was the key to Microsoft's acceptance and ubiquity in the 90's and beyond. The iPhone has stunned Nokia and Android is quite simply the ultimate development environment for any developer with a leaning towards the future.

2. Oliver Wilson

re: writing on the wall

I disagree with the earlier comment about "the writing being on the wall".

I may be wrong, but I think Qt will surely survive whatever occurs in the mobile space, given the large install-base of Qt applications on the desktop, especially concerning KDE.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jay Jaffa

lol.

4. P. Lee
    Paris Hilton

must...not...feed...the...trolls...

ok maybe just a little :)

Someone doesn't know what QT is.

To summarise: a cross-platform application toolkit.

Its used for KDE (that's on Windows, Mac, Solaris and Linux platforms, probably more) so probably not too hard to get running on Android.

The iphone has nailed one particular market segment. Nokia is so much bigger than that and plays where Apple wouldn't want to go. Most phones are distinctly closed systems and Nokia offers closed licenses to those who want them.

If you want to write cross-platform apps, you can start with QT on Windows and migrate to other OS's later if you wish. No messing with the GPL required.

5. Andraž Levstik

@Jay Jaffa

Yeah right... You should try QTs60 sometime... What that can do there through the fluidlauncher of theirs.... A very nice thing and I think something that will take s60 kicking and screaming into the Century of the Fruitbat ;)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Jay Jaffa

'If ignorance is bliss, then 'tis folly to be wise' - fool.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like