back to article Iomega muffs hard drive DLNA testing

Iomega's Home Media Network Hard Drive is not DLNA-certified. Although Iomega says device users can "play back...pictures, videos and music from digital media adapters such as game consoles, digital picture frames or networked TVs," the HM NHD has a problem playing MP3s on DLNA-compliant Sony Bravia TVs. DLNA is the Digital …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Frank

Testing

"Morrison is getting active involvement from Iomega, saying that the firm recently "sent me an IX2 StorCenter to try, received it today, doesn't work either."..."

That's not active involvement, that's reactive stupidity. The author said it much more politely than me in the next paragraph. Could this be a cost saving measure by Iomega to outsource testing and certification to its end-user customers? I hope that Alastair Morrison will charge them for the time he is spending in helping them to resolve a problem with their product lines.

2. Chris Beach
    Thumb Down

Pointless standard...

And yet another pointless 'standard' fails utterly and causes more problems that it was supposed to solve.

Has there even been a 'standard' with 100% compliance? The newer the standard the less likely it is to work!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

jonbuy

Strange, I have been using TwonkyMedia server installed on a buffalo 1TB Linkstation mini accessing it via both a Sony PS3 or a Roku Soundbrige depending on which room I am in. So Sony and Twonky can interact without problem. It is great, as I can leave the tiny and silent linkstation on 24 hours a day ready to play my music whenever a music player connects without the need to use a pc. I have had this system for around 6 months with no problems.

4. Dirk Vandenheuvel

Great but...

All rather interesting... but while reading this article I was just wondering all the time why anybody would play mp3s on their Bravia TV?

5. Chris Mellor

IOmega's iX2 now DLNA-compliant

An Iomega spokesperson sent me this message: "The Iomega iX2 is now listed on the DLNA website (under EMC). The HMNHD listing is progressing."

Chris.

6. Adrian Waterworth
    Thumb Up

@Dirk Vandenheuvel

Absolutely that man! Top marks!

MP3s are all well and good for storing on some little plastic fantastic that you stick in your ears when you want to block out the rest of the world, but they still sound lousy around the house. And while I'm sure that a Bravia TV can make acceptable noises, I'm prepared to bet it still wouldn't sound as good as a decent pair of properly-sited speakers.

Give me my trusty collection of CD players, turntables, amplifiers and other assorted "old school" gadgetry any day - you can shove your home media servers and other such "convenience foodstuff" audio devices into the same hole as all the Pop Idol contestants.

Although - on a related note - I do wish that some of the network storage manfacturers would come up with versions of their smaller, cheaper devices that would integrate fully and properly into an Active Directory domain without being a bit of a lash-up. Oh well, can't have everything I suppose...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

IOMEGA to blame.

I have TwonkyMedia (5.0.55) installed on a MiniITX Linux server, streaming to Bravia TV, a PS3 and a couple of Terratec Noxon audio only devices, they system works flawlessly, both wired and wireless.

So it's clearly IOMEGAS problem, or Alastair Morrison has a problem with his network setup, or media being streamed (random stuff from Bittorrent with unknown or buggy encodes is usually a good way to screw up most mediaservers).

8. Jay
    Thumb Down

Twonky = Shonky?

Dunno if it's me, but I don't exactly find TwonkyMedia easy to use. I had to set it up on my girlfriend's MacBook to stream stuff to her Pure EVOKE Flow (nice bit of kit!). Got it working in the end but it's not entirely forthcoming with if it's on or not and what devices are actually connected. Also it may also have been me but it didn't appear to work over WiFi just ethernet. The same setup wouldn't stream to my PS3 either, though I think my MacPro saw it OK.

I think I'll stick with MediaLink on my MacPro for the time being (seems to stream to my PS3 OK). I've also used TVersity on PC and after stopping it downloading GBs of YouTube by default it ran without a problem.

Though the big test will be when I get round to buying a Netgear ReadyNAS and trying to get that to stream to all and sundry...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@adrian

you looked at the qnap nas, this has AD. never used the AD function so can't comment if it's a lash up or not.

10. Nick
    Unhappy

t'wonky...

I wonder if its something to do with Twonky? I've been experimenting with it for the last couple of months and version 3.something or other on Linux worked great with my Xbox 360. I went to purchase a licence, and then was told that version 4.something was now available and that I should upgrade. So I did that, only to find that now, approximatly 75% of my video files will no longer play, even though they're fine played back from USB/DVD/TVserity.

I'm waiting feedback from Twonkey, but none has been forthcoming so far. Great product going backwards...

11. Valley Nomad

May be SONY TV's problem?

I can testify that my new Iomega HMNHD actually works will with SONY PS3 via DLNA. So maybe SONY TV causes the problem?

I do have an issue with the NAS: it doesn't support NTFS with USB port although it claims the feature in the specs.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like