back to article Camelot dismisses lottery website hack claims

Camelot maintains the National Lottery website it runs is secure, following the publication of a supposed breach on an underground hacking forum. The same Romanian group that discovered SQL injection problems on the website of Kaspersky, BitDefender, and other anti-virus vendors in recent weeks has posted screen shots of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Charlie Barnes

Money money money..

You'd think with all the money Camelot scrape off the lottery they'd be able to secure their own website..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

I'd say it's this subdomain....

Do a Google search for 'site:national-lottery.co.uk images/games' and tell me it's not 'tmobile-wap.national-lottery.co.uk' tha'ts impacted...

(Especially as following any links there gives 'permission denied'!)

3. Richard Barclay
    Coat

Big Money Balls Up!

Sorry just wanted to get the headline in before the Daily Mail....

4. Shane Orahilly
    Coat

Overall chances of hacking are 1 in 4.72

You can claim several hacks on the same winning support ticket.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Hacked, already..../

Hmmmm! On Wed. night their Lottery rundown clock said 30 mins to place your bets - or words to that effect- at 19:15 - 15 mins before end of official betting time.

Was it already hacked at this point?

You know, with all the money Camelot scrape off the lottery, they obviously can't be arsed to secure their own website..think of the waste of profit that would entail.

Paris, because she can be ....- oh, work it out ffs.....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Camelot's systems not compromised

I was at Camelot for 4 years during the bring up of the interactive platform (www.national-lottery.co.uk).

None of the "interesting" table names listed are used by the online gaming application. Camelot is being upfront about it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Industry standard technical solutions

more like what their mate frank said would be a good idea.

There really are no such standards, what a load of hot air. Come on blind us with the details Camelot.

Why do marketing muppets, where most stuff goes straight over their heads, assume everyone else is like them? We are not all gullible spin munching morons.

8. Tim Schomer
    Coat

@ Money money money..

Don't be silly, it all gets scraped off into the top execs back pockets as per normal UK/US corporate policy.

/ That's it, the one with the lottery ticket in the top pocket...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Loved the quote...

"This is obviously a vulnerability that would need to be cleaned up. In my personal opinion, with an information-revealing vulnerability such as this it can be only a matter of time before full penetration can occur," he said

Paris....

10. Ben Tasker
    Paris Hilton

@Charlie Barnes

Re your comment on how much they scrape off, I used to work with Camelot and they really don't get that much from a ticket. From what I remember it goes like this

75p - Prize fund

18p - Tax

5p - Retailer

2p - Camelot (including running of machines etc)

The proportions are the same on scratchcards, no matter how much the card costs.

That said, they still have plenty o cash, so they should be securing their website. I had an e-mail from the recently saying that the card registered on my account expires next month, which is odd as I don't have a card expiring next month. Perhaps they truly are incompetent

11. Loki
    Joke

The big question is....

Did they get next weeks winning numbers?

12. Dave
    Thumb Down

@Ben Tasker

First: "Camelot can confirm that the main player site at www.national-lottery.co.uk has not been compromised" clearly indicates that they are admitting that some other site DID get hacked.

Doesn't really matter how minor it is, if it revealed useful passwords.

@Ben:

From memory, the prize fund is only about a third of the income. I note that your list does not include any 'Good Cause' money, which also runs at circa one third, so there is something wrong with your figures.

13. Andrew

@People who can't be bothered to Google

You know, it's really not that hard to look something up:

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/information.do?info=wheremoneygoes (first result on Google: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=national+lottery+revenue)

Where the money goes:

50% Prizes

28% Good causes

12% Lottery duty to Government

5% Commission to retailers (6% for scratchcards)

4% Operating costs

0.3-0.5% Profit

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like