back to article Microsoft temps get shorter hours

Details are emerging of how Microsoft plans to trim its costs while axing as few full-time staff as possible during the ongoing worldwide recession. On current projects, Microsoft is cutting payments to staffing agencies by ten per cent, and it won't raise the rate for temps who return following a mandatory, 100-day break, the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jobs not completely gone

Just severely reduced. Just got picked up by an outsider to work for Microsoft (posting as AC because of the NDA), at what I'm sure is a greatly reduced salary from what the poor sap whose job I stole got payed.

2. raving angry loony

savings?

To think they could probably save 40% of contractor billing if they stopped using over-priced, incompetent staffing agencies whose only quality is that they rely 100% on matching requirement and CV keywords rather than understanding the businesses they recruit for.

3. Andy Worth

Not really a surprise

I think a number of companies are doing similar things and trimming contractors first - after all it means they don't have to pay out redundancy payments and it saves them the cost of re-hiring again when(?) the market picks up.

4. Doug Glass
    Go

It's Gotta Be El Reg News Too

How many times do they get to pee during the day and is The Register monitoring their fat intake?

You guys are really hurting to fill print space huh?

5. David Neil
    Paris Hilton

@Doug Glass - Seriously?

You are actually complaining that a story about one of the worlds largest tech companies is squeezing contractors - many of whom fall within the target audience of this site?

Or has it been that long since you read anything other than a Paris or Playmobil article that you forgot what this site is actually about?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like