back to article Beeb exterminates Tomorrow's World rumours

Tomorrow's World is yesterday's news following confirmation from the Beeb that the populist science and technology show will not be returning to our small screens any time soon after all. Big sighs all round, we hear; especially as rumours had suggested a comeback for the live, gadget-happy, anything-can-go-wrong-and-usually- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

pics or stfu

as they say

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wrong

It's "proof or STFU"

3. amanfromMars Silver badge

An Erudition too Far.......

"Or, indeed, the more cerebral: "You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.""

That must be the camp version/edition.

4. Dillon Pyron

Steal a US show

If Tomorrow's World was as fun as it sounds, then you folks need Mythbusters. As Adam Savage put it at a con, "we get to blow shit up and the feds help!" Any time you get to blow a concrete truck off the face of the earth, you have a great show.

5. Ian

FAO: Dillon

We've got Top Gear, allegedly a car show.

Think Mythbusters : The Mid Life Crisis Years

6. Simon

Steal a US show

We do get Mythbusters....the whole show gets compressed into a 30 minute version without all the pointless repeats after all the adverts that you have, if they got rid of all the explanations that are aimed at 3 year olds, then you would only have about 6 minutes of actual material per show.

Anyway Tomorrow’s World was a factual look at incoming technology, not 2 people taking great pleasure in trying to prove that Hollywood is full of lies.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

She's a maniac, maniac on the floor

"We at Vulture Central can hardly contain our excitement at the thought of Kingsley appearing on Dr Who as Davros"

Surely he would be more appropriate as The Master. What's the point of hiring a top actor, and the imprisoning him under layers of latex? Unless latex is your thing, although if that is the case, why Ben Kingsley?

8. Chris Matchett

taking the Sexy Beast bit one step further

I can imagine Davros spitting out that line in his dalek wheelchair and following it up with, "Now I need a fucking piss".

9. Martin Owens

Holywood Lies?

>> Anyway Tomorrow’s World was a factual look at incoming technology, not 2 people taking great pleasure in trying to prove that Hollywood is full of lies.

I thought the BBC produced something like that for the OU Learning Zone, I think it had Robert Llewellyn and was as explosive as you could get on a £10 budget filming round your mates house on a boring saturday afternoon. still good fun though, like a podcast for telly.

As for the BBc news *Yawn* I've completely lost respect for aunty beeb; she can stick that charter were the sun doesn't shine until they can stop thinking like a business and start thinking like a public service again.

10. Robin Szemeti

Tomorrows what?

I'm not suprised Tomorrows World is not coming back. The BBC should not even attempt to bring it back, it was, sadly, utterly crap.

Before you string me up and lynch me from the nearest solar-powered hovercraft let me explain. Tomorrows world USED to be brilliant, back in the days when it was presented by people with more brain-cells than fingers. Raymond Baxter ... great presenter, ex Spitfire pilot, intelligent and interested in what he was talking about. He presented a wide range of items without worrying too much whether its was comprehensible to people who couldn't add up. Items were presented to a high standard, the technical aspects might have left some viewers behind, but they also encouraged many to find out more about what must have been baffling subjects.

In later years, the quality of both the presenters and the subjects they were talking about went rapidly down hill.

"And next we have a really super item about some great new nail polish that is scented, its really clever, umm this is the nail polish and you put it on like, like, umm, well, thats a bit difficult, and err, yeah it smells of things, yeah."

Tomorows world went from a bit of fun for geeks, that was genuinely challenging for at least some of the population, to a dumbed-down mindless blathering by a series of dumbed down presenters. When the viewing figures plummeted, it was time to shut up shop and move on.

I can;t see it coming back, I doubt the BBC has enough confidence to put on a genuinley challenging program that doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about a new series of Look Around You?

That was more Tomorrow's World than Tomorrow's World ever was!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's the new James Burke when the BBC needs her?

Now the BBC have got airtime to fill with quality programming, airtime which they won't be able to fill it with bought-in dross from the likes of Endemol, not when it's just a thin disguise for adverts for ripoff premium rate phone lines anyway (even in "upmarket" Endemol stuff like Restoration, never mind BB).

And no his replacement definitely isn't Kate Humble, sorry Kate, but you've made Springwatch unwatchable. Maybe James's replacement is the other two thirds of the Goodies?

13. The Mighty Spang

@dillon

we already have "top gear" for crap like that

its bad enough that horizon has gone down the bog in the last 10 years. no more information/discussion on science issues, its all about wonderful videography, personalities and 'controversy'. They don't bother to explain what the actual idea is in detail any more.

and about Dr Who. Stunt casting again. And yet another person to act tennant into a cocked hat.

14. Steven Knox

Re: MythBusters

Surely Brainiac is a better* British analogue to Mythbusters.

* in every sense of the word.

15. Steve Mansfield

Kate Humble

No no no no no, Kate Humble (and SImon King, albeit he is usually marooned on some offshore rock getting covered in bird poo) makes Spring || Autumnwatch watchable - it's Bill Oddie with his inability to shut up for five seconds and let the adults do the talking who always endangers my enjoyment of those programmes.

In fact if we can't have Sally Sparrow as the new Dr Who companion, how about Kate Humble?

16. SpitefulGOD

Humm

Pointless profanity, as a rule most British films are crapola!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do we really need the swearing!!

Do we really need the swearing!! Typical internet journalist (I use the term loosely), who does not have the vocabulary to express things without resorting to the gutter.

18. Keith Turner

Sir Ben as a baddie?

Oh yes!

Anyone that's not seen "Sexy Beast" will have missed one of the great all-time villains.

He could scare Daleks shitless with just one "What you fucking looking at?!"

And he'd shag the Doctor's assistant before taking a 12 bore to the Doc's head.

19. Colin Jackson

What about...

"Where's the new James Burke when the BBC needs her?"

Richard Dawkins?

20. thomasthetanker

Humble

Hands off Humble, she has sworn her undying devotion to me alone

21. Jock Busuttil

Look Around You

I distinctly remember believing that the Tomorrow's World parody "Look Around You" was in fact a random repeat of the show it was spoofing. The point at which they conducted an experiment by sticking wires into someone's head began to raise doubts in my mind.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Sir Ben as a baddie?

Slightly off topic but he was pretty much signed up to be one of the villians in Spider-Man 3 before the character he was going to play was effectively removed by an executive producer.

Dr Who's gain is Spider-Man 3's loss I say.

Did anyone see that film incidently? If not I'll just say it was a little short of being one of Hollywood's masterpieces. Spider-Man vs. Ben Kingsley though, that would have been worth watching!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RE: Do we really need the swearing!!

Yes we fucking do. Now fuck off you twat.

24. Vulpes Vulpes

RE: Robin Szemeti's posting

"I can't see it coming back, I doubt the BBC has enough confidence to put on a genuinley challenging program that doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator."

Of course it does, you're just too lazy to look at the schedule. Check out the BBC4 schedule this very evening. Hardly Telly Tubbies is it?

25. Kane

RE: Do we really need the swearing!!

Fuck, Yes. Swearing is integral part of expression in the english language, whether it's in a positive or negative context. So why don't you fuck off, you fucking fuckwit. (Did you see that? Use of the word "fuck" as an adjective, an adverb enhancing an adjective, and as a noun! All in one happy sentence)

http://www.sigg3.net/myself/fuck.html

26. Haku

Mythbusters

As a big fan of Mythbusters I have to say I prefer the original ~45min American version of the shows rather than the 30min UKified version, I know they repeat themselves endlessly throughout the epsiodes, showing you clips of what's to come after the commercial break but I think that's part of the charm of the show. I love the ingenuity and creativity the hosts put into their busting, and you can't deny blowing things up with the help of the FBI isn't fun.

I did enjoy Jeremy Clarkson's one-series show he did, having guests on and doing various fun things like the spaghetti jar potato canon & the device to enable scuba divers to have a ciggie underwater.

27. Mike Fleming

Convergence

On the twin subjects of fucking and Tomorrow's World, did anyone else notice that every article presented by Judith Hann involved babies? I think that did for TW. If only the Beeb would bring TW back with Jonathan Hare as the main presenter...

This topic is closed for new posts.