back to article Google finally gives self Web2.0rhea

It was only a matter of time. Google has given itself Web2.0rhea. Yesterday, the world's largest ad broker finally launched a Twitter account, intent on spraying world+dog with an endless stream of self-serving mini-messages. It's first sub-140-character spew: "I'm 01100110 01100101 01100101 01101100 01101001 01101110 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TheMadProfessor
    Coat

I can think of one way to monetise a 140 character message

However sadly it would be very remiss of me to say it in a public forum until I have secured the patents & Google have sent a large cheque..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Users like it when the food gets placed in their mouths

Software consumers are akin to diaper wearing geriatrics, being fed pulped solids.

Choo Choo Open Up here comes the software train.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all geek to me

Actually the message is "I'm feeling lucky" - note the lower case 'f' and 'l'. I blame hex and unicode for the drop in binary ASCII reading standards these days...

4. Graham Lockley

Idiot Alert

"So, fast forward to today. What's the most important and quickly growing form of search on the web today? Real time, conversational search. And who's the YouTube of real time search? Yep. Twitter."

Except that YouTube grew its user base by word of mouth and delivered a highly varied diet of user generated and copyrighted entertainment. Twitter gives us b-grade celebs and their description of coffee in Starbucks or sub-Blogger grade meanderings. The biggest difference is that everybody I know is aware of YouTube and know what they will find there, hardly any have heard of Twitter and even fewer know what its about.

And I would love to see the statistics for his claim ' the most important and quickly growing form of search on the web', I suspect they may not be available.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Followers

Live Search: 1299

Yahoo: 4519

Google: 24990

Seems about right.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Monetise

People visit the web page regularly, especially if they're searching. Companies are starting to use Twitter as an alert / notification service. If you search on a company name, someone will pay to ensure their company gets to the top of the list. Monetising it is easy; making a profit, less so.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like