back to article Sony shows off wacky fuel cell designs

Sony has demoed three odd fuel-cell designs on the opening day of the fifth International Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Expo in Japan. Sony_fuel_cell_02 Sony's idea for a fuel cell speaker Despite looking like a coffee machine, reports from Japan have said that the first design – shown above – is actually a speaker system that’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eugene Goodrich
    Paris Hilton

Tough job, actually...

Looks like they're thinking ahead to when people start realizing what methanol is like to handle, and have to start pouring it around the house. The devices better look darn cute if they're going to be drinking this stuff!

Paris, because she's darn cute and I'd feed her methanol around the house if she asked for it.

2. Cameron Colley

I don't want to like these...

...but I want!

seriously though, the speakers are a no-go since the power consumption seems to be way too high for the size of tank envisaged -- but the scales-like dual charger is awesome -- like some kind of geek candle.

3. Frank Bough
    Thumb Down

Methanol

is rather ungood for one's health. Do not drink.

4. R Callan
    Joke

@Frank Bough

I would suggest that virtually all liquids, with the possible exception of triple glass distilled hydrated hydronium hydroxide, are rather ungood for one's health. Therefore as a safety precaution, do not drink any liquid full stop.

5. John

pouring liquids

you don't have to construct your own batteries, so I don't think you'd have to carry jugs of meths around the house.

I'm sure Sony will sell you proprietary methanol capsules that will be incompatible with everyone else's fuel cells.

6. Tim

Interesting

Can anyone work out what size the "radio" ones are? I thought they were keyfobs for a moment but surely not.

A couple of other points- firstly the "scales" one appears to have an open dish of methanol on top; but methanol does tend to evaporate very quickly. Methanol also generally presents quite a fire risk, as not only is it rather flammable but it burns with a colorless flame, so you cannot see the fire too easily. On the positive side, these do look pretty cool, I wonder how much methanol they consume for each kwh? Oh, is methanol taxed?

Tim#3

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Jugs of meths.

Hmmm.... the fondue runs off meths already.. Not really a problem.

(Yes, yes, mostly ethanol, I know..)

They all have lids.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like