back to article E-tailers can't claim on returned goods

Online retailers cannot reclaim some of the purchase price of goods even if they are returned after a long time and have given the user some benefit, an advocate general of the European Court of Justice (ECJ) has said. Buyers can return goods and get a full refund in the first one to two weeks of ownership of goods, said …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nicholas Wright
    Boffin

They're very lucky!

Lucky she didn't ask for a replacement under warranty.

2. Mike Bronze badge

ha ha

Why do i get the feeling that this particular retailer will now start following the rules and informing people of their rights to return it within 7 days?

although i do have to say that if the customer wanted to return it after 8 months use, not in the same condition it arrived in, they should not have that right - it's one thing to say "oh it's not what i expected" and be allowed to return it, it's something else to use it for 8 months, break the screen, then expect your money back

it would be quite simple to just require that the product be returned in the same condition it was received in (with for example "you opened the box" not being a valid excuse for the retailer to refuse) that would be fair on everyone, the consumer gets the right to return things that aren't what they expected, but the retailer doesn't have to worry about having to give someone a full refund for a product that is now in such a bad state they can't sell it to someone else

3. fnordianslip

Unusual

'The fear of abuse by individuals may not generally result in the protection of rights guaranteed under Community law being restricted for everyone," she said. "For that reason alone, a provision such as the one at issue cannot fall within the discretion of Member States."'

I wish that people with power would take this view more often, especially in respect of terrorism, paedophilia and other criminal activity.

4. Neoc

Oh goody

How many people (women in particular, sorry girls) will now abuse the concept to get that Perfect Outfit for one night only without having to hire it?

And I'd *love* to see this applied to underwear. <shiver>

5. Azrael
    Stop

Huh? Catch22?

So... wait. If they don't know about their right to return something (because you didn't tell them) - then they can return it. Even if it's 8 months later.

If they DO know (because you told them) then they can't return it (after the reasonable week)

So they have the rights, but only if they don't know about them? How... interesting. And if they happen to know the rights but you never told them, then they get to exercise the rights for longer? No wonder everything I order comes with more unnecessary paperwork than product.

I understand that the intention is to pressure the retailers into informing their customers of the right to return. Which isn't a bad thing. It just seems silly when it obviously wasn't a case of "Oops, I got a defective product, and only just discovered it"

Also, returning with no questions asked? No requirement on it being in the same condition? So I can order a book, and as long as I read it within a week I can return it, no questions, for a full refund? Rinse and repeat? What about if I order a PDF book online?

6. Michael Dean

Software

Will this apply to software that will not work on my PC? Or can the "its out of the plastic" rule still be applied?

7. BioTube

Return policies

Have been included in everything I've ever bought online(I'm from Texas, so this is a comparison); when brick-and-mortar stores don't have ads there, they tend to place their policies on the backs of receipts. Most of these policies generally have fifteen day return periods(most of the exceptions are for longer periods, though some are shorter). What kind of convoluted law would require more text than you can fit on the back of a packing slip?

This topic is closed for new posts.