back to article Yahoo! mines search logs for banner ad targeting

When brand new CEO Carol Bartz told the world that search is a "very valuable part" of Yahoo!'s business, she meant it. Today, the struggling web portal introduced new money-making tools that allow advertisers to target web display ads according to user search activity. So, in addition to serving you ads in direct response to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nicholas Ettel
    Go

Scale and expertise

Carol Bartz says: "Yahoo! remains incredibly well positioned to meet the growing advertiser demand for performance marketing offerings, and no other company can provide marketers with such scale and expertise across search and display advertising."

El Reg says: "Google might argue with that."

I say that Carol Bartz is entirely accurate. Yahoo! is a unique company offering a unique service and employing unique individuals each with their own unique expertise and capabilities. Yahoo! isn't in an unique business, but they do it like no one else does - every other company is either worse, or better than Yahoo! and that's an arugable, debatable opinion, really.

2. Mike Flugennock
    Pirate

Yahoo only knows your name and gender...

...if you actually tell it your _real_ name and _real_ gender.

Most of these goddamn' sites that demand that I "register" -- like the NYTimes or the Washington Post -- think I'm a 25-year-old black woman earning $150k a year living in Afghanistan.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Where are the extra !!

Shouldn't it read -'Yahoo! mines! search! logs! for! banner! ad! targeting!’???

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

yahoo schmahoo

Last month we had 3,987 genuine hits on our website. We are rated position 1-3 for most of our key phrases on yahoo. Our business is a niche market.

Search stats reveal:

Hits from Google searches = 2475

Hits from Yahoo Searches = 63

I wish it was different because we are ranked high on Yahoo but it's not rocket science to say that no one uses Yahoo any more. Without that search volume their new products are useless to us.

5. Sergie Kaponitovicz
    Alert

A! Pox! on! Your! House!

Firefox + AdBlock Plus + TrackMeNot

Similarly to Mike Flugennock, I am in the Ukraine, am 21 and earn $12k.

6. Andy Barber
    Alert

Yahoo! Story!...

... And! No! Exclamation! Marks! In! The! Title!

A first for El Reg!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like