back to article IBM to win $200m supercomputer contract

The National Science Foundation will award IBM a $200m contract to build one of the world's fastest supercomputers, but don't tell anyone because it's a secret. Or at least it was until The New York Times spilled the beans after documents were accidentally posted on a government web site last week. Now there won't be a wild $ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aubry Thonon

"Urbana-Champaign"?

I worked in that wonderful twin town for six months in '98 (Hi guys <wave>) and I always heard it referred to as "Champaign-Urbana", or "Chambana" for short.

When did it change?

2. amanfromMars Silver badge

Delusions of Grandeur.

Garbage In Garbage Out will still dictate ITs Performance though.

3. kevin elliott

Ironic

I find it strange that a machine that'll be used to study global warming will, because of it's huge power consumption & cooling needs, be contributing significantly to the problem.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

This will probably be the first machine to be able to run windows vista smoothly!! They are putting in a powerful graphics card, aren't they?

The number of flops is important, but we need proper facts... like how much ram, and most importantly: what colour will the box be?

5. Brian Miller

Simulate global warming

Perhaps they mean STIMULATE global warming. Lets start with calculating the footprint of the machine itself.

6. A. Merkin

...If this were a Micro$oft Supercomputer...

The actual performance would be 0.75 Petaflops after accounting for the DRM system's overhead.

Simulations would have to be paused periodically as the machine "phones home" to perform license validations.

...And the $25K per-Core SQL server licenses would cost an additional $102.4 Million USD

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: "Urbana-Champaign"?

The /campus/ has been officially "Urbana-Champaign" for decades, at least. The twin towns are known as "Champaign-Urbana." Confusing, ne? But the town of Champaign (pop. ~ 65K) is twice the size and population of Urbana (pop. ~35K), and thus is traditionally named first. However, the majority of the UIUC campus resides in Urbana, so they put Urbana first in the name (at least, that's the story I was told). As evidence of this (the long standing naming convention), until just this summer, UIUC's domain name was uiuc.edu - that is, "University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign."

8. Aubry Thonon

Re: "Urbana-Champaign"?

"But the town of Champaign (pop. ~ 65K) is twice the size and population of Urbana (pop. ~35K), and thus is traditionally named first."

Thanks for clearing out a point for me (well, two points really). I always thought that Chambana was named in that order because on the maps Champaign's on the left and Urbana on the right... hence it reads "Champaign... Urbana". ^_^ But the population bit makes more sense.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like