back to article Vista SP2 release candidate imminent?

A select group of Windows Vista SP2 testers have reportedly received a release candidate build of the operating system’s final service pack. According to Ars Technica, Microsoft released the RC build of Vista SP2 yesterday. It also popped out a release candidate of Windows Server 2008 SP2 to an exclusive bunch of testers on 19 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Gates Horns

'ang on.

Wasn't this the O/S that was supposed to have been so well built and tested that it wouldn't need a Service Pack? Didn't Ballsup get on his hind legs and say as much once?

I suppose that if I am right here, that was the equivalent of not so much tempting Fate as dropping your trousers, mooning at it and shouting "Fate's a wanker"....

2. Ed

"As always, the final release date is based on quality"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can You Smell It?

You can dress a pig in silk slippers, but its still a pig and smells just as bad!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Can You Smell It?

You can dress a pig in silk slippers, but its still a pig and smells just as bad!

5. adnim

I'm confused.

Is not Windows 7 Vista SP2 or is it Vista SP2 that is Windows 7. Or is it that Windows 7 is what Vista should have been or is Windows 7 what Vista SP2 will be?

MS should not be wasting time and effort developing SP2 for Vista, they should accept that it is a pos and offer a free upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 to all those poor sods who either bought a copy of Vista or had it foisted on them when they bought a new PC.

After messing with Windows 7 beta and although it is an improvement on Vista, all I can really say with any confidence is Windows XP is the last MS OS I will ever use. Unfortunately unless I find another career, and sometimes am I so, so tempted, I am going to have to deal Microsoft products, either fixing them or securing them. I guess life really is a bitch.

6. Neil
    Coat

RE: Can you small it?

"You can dress a pig in silk slippers, but its still a pig and smells just as bad!"

But this isn't about Mac's

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"final" service pack?

Was there an announcement that there won't be an SP3 for Vista?

SP3 for XP came out after Vista was released.

8. Mr Bear

Hang on???

I thought Windows 7 was Vista SP2?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh??

Or should that be Vista Beta 2? Followed by Beta 3, 4, 5.......78, RC1

10. pAnoNymous
    Thumb Up

@confused people

Windows 7 is Vista RTM - the rest of us would like to thank you all for all the time and effort you've spent beta testing the next version of Windows for us.

11. David Simpson
    Gates Halo

Yes yes how original

Windows 7 is Vista SP2 or SP3 blah blah blah.

I fix PCs for a living and while Vista carries a bit more CPU/RAM overhead than XP I still prefer Vista.

Mind you I have been using Windows 7 Beta for the past few weeks and it's definetly a step up. Why would anyone want to keep using creaky old XP ? The same luddites all cryed about XP when it first launched and claimed they would stick with 98SE (the buggiest OS I have ever used) XP only became usable after SP2 which everyone seems to forget.

If you can't manage to learn to live with a new OS then join a different industry cause things change in IT fast, and most of the complaints I have heard have more to do with people expecting Vista to work exactly like XP.

Vista has been fine since SP1 and Media Center has been powering my home TV entertainment system since beta 1 with no serious problems.

It's easy to poke fun at M$ and sad that they allowed Vista out the door way too early but the promise shown on Windows 7 might just restore my faith in them.

12. Paul
    Gates Horns

Vista sp2...

Is Windows 7, nuff said.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

Oh, Micro$haft...

...you've done it again!

A heart - because I love seeing them shoot themselves in the foot.

14. Player_16
    Paris Hilton

@Neil

Is there something you trying to say? I don't understand.

15. Goat Jam
    Gates Horns

@David Simpson

"I fix PCs for a living"

You have the condolences of the entire el'reg commentary team I'm sure.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Vista isnt all bad

I put vista on all my machines in my house and ive had very little issues. These PC's vary from my EEE pc to my Quad core gaming rig.

Yes windows 7 is a step up but Vista isnt as bad as everybody is claiming!!!!!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@David Simpson

You've made lots of good point there but I'm sure they'll get washed out in the constant drone of the "Micro$oft" moaners.

Vista is heavy on resources but now that the drivers issue is sorted it is by far the most stable OS Microsoft have ever released. XP SP2 was a massive improvement over XP and fixed a lot of problems. It also broke a lot of programs and was slammed as a disaster when it first came out.

I've used Vista on my HTPC since RC1 without any issues and I use Vista on my main development PC. It works and works well once you've got a decent PC.

I've tried Windows 7 and quite liked it, I reckon there will be a class action suit to get the existing users of Vista a free upgrade though.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like