back to article Nudie subterranean rat protein could arrest human ageing

US boffins believe they may be on the track of longevity-enhancing technology, by analysing the unusual proteins found in naked mole rats. These wrinkly, hairless burrowing creatures from East Africa live many times longer than other rodents, and remain attractive, fit and virile the whole time. MIT Tech Review reports on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

The good news is you can live forever

The bad news is you have to live underground with no clothes on...

Mine's the one with the moleskin trousers, thanks!

2. Richard
    Thumb Up

If

If having to remain naked and live underground is the price we must pay to look fabulous, so be it!

3. Anton Ivanov
    Coat

You are sligthly wrong. Just slightly

Quote: live many times longer than other rodents, and remain attractive, fit and virile the whole time

These rats are unique in the sense that they are the only mammal to have a hive society. The "queen" does. The "workers", soldiers, etc do not. They also obey the queen unquestionably, defend it from any danger and behave the way ants and termites do with regards to their hormonal overlord. They are also kept totally sterile.

So frankly, this research has a possible different angle. The proteins that provide this long age may in fact be the proteins which also guarantee the soldiers and workers submissive behaviour and their guaranteed sterility.

For some reason when reading this "This Perfect Day" by Ira Levin comes to mind.

4. Andus McCoatover

Sod that!!

Brown and his ilk will extend the pension age! FFS, I'd be working till I'm about 500 - Time to see man on Mars. Or, Gatso's obsolete. Yeah, I can dream.

(Apart from the fact I'm on the Jerry Roll, and wouldn't mind staying that way for the next 10 years until I retire...)

(Maybe, just maybe that's why cats have nine lives - they eat the buggers. Betcha the 'Merkin boffins didn't fuctor that into the tests..)

5. Steven
    Coat

I for one...

...welcome our hairless ageless subterranean overlords.

Mines the moleskin one.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

right direction

"but perhaps a step in the right direction."

I'm not so sure myself... to quote Queen Freddie I, who wants to live forever? ... and be wrinkly and hairless (which unfortunately I think I am already)??

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Ewww

"and remain attractive, fit and virile the whole time."

Dude, you got issues man.

8. Craig
    Joke

Yay!

Rufus FTW!

9. Bad Beaver
    Thumb Up

So what's to say, other than

Eat more naked mole rat.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

"remain attractive, fit and virile the whole time"

me too

just ignore the wrinkly and hairless bit pls.

11. Pete Silver badge

bald and wrinkly?

so if that's all it takes, I should live to be over 600.

Next step is to find a 500+ woman who finds those attributes attractive.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Dead Vulture

"attractive, fit and virile"

I do not want to know you. Go and stand over there.

13. Dave Harris
    Happy

All Hail Rufus!!!

What is that, that freaky thing?

14. Richard
    Stop

New paper....

You know this is getting a little silly.

So I'm thinking of releasing a paper entitled:

"Incredibly long and interminably boringly titled papers and why we should work towards finding a way of describing the content of an otherwise tedious paper in a way that can not only be pronounced without taking a day off work to do so but also doesn't require you to draw breath a second time halfway through to avoid suffocation - in human beings."

Can't we just have "Naked Mole Rats and Human Longevitiy" ?!

-- Richard

15. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Closer to home

Have the scientists had a look at Richard Madeley yet? He seems to have the anti-ageing thing cracked and (as far as I know) doesn't live naked underground.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just what we need

More people not dying of old age, scrounging on gov pensions and farting thereby increasing global warming, eating our food etc.

Or maybe the research is bogus coz they live longer being out of UV radiation's way?

17. James Delaney
    Paris Hilton

Congratulations

...on gettin love juice into a url!

Paris 'cos well, just because.

18. Rob
    Alert

Small problem

In that we are extending the life of all the stupid people as well, is that a good thing?

19. Anders Halling
    Jobs Horns

@Rob

Ah, but who says we are?

20. Dave Harris
    Paris Hilton

That name...

Rochelle Buffenstein

Are we sure she has no other career?

Paris, 'cos rochelle sounds like she'd be Paris' BFF

21. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

You think that's "fit" and "attractive"!?

>"These wrinkly, hairless burrowing creatures from East Africa live many times longer than other rodents, and remain attractive, fit and virile the whole time."

Yiff in hell, furf- ... oh. Wait a minute. *Naked* mole rats. No fur.

Now I don't know *what* to call you!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

22. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@I for one...

>" ...welcome our hairless ageless subterranean overlords."

Dude. What part of mole-rat don't you get? The "mole" part, I guess. That should be subterranean *UNDERLORDS*, for crying out loud!

23. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

@Lewis Page

"...miracle mole rat crumple-protein purge lotion..."

You're why I read el Reg, my friend.

24. Sarah Bee (Written by Reg staff)

Re: You think that's "fit" and "attractive"!?

I should think naked mole rats are quite attractive to other naked mole rats. And they don't all mate, anyway, living as they do in a termite-like society with a queen. The asexual ones probably aren't that fussed either way.

The naked mole rat is also distinguished in nature by being the greatest comedy animal ever. You can keep your badgers.

25. cybersaur
    Thumb Up

I'm going to live to be a thousand!

'cuz I read el Reg from my mum's basement whilst nekkid...

Thumbs up icon because-- oh wait, that's not my thumb...

26. Anonymous John
    Coat

@ Closer to home

I think Richard Madeley uses the Dorian Gray method. He gets younger while Judy Finnegan gets older.

Coat please, before Sarah Bee comes after me.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ Sarah Re: Re: You think that's "fit" and "attractive"!?

> "I should think naked mole rats are quite attractive to other naked mole rats"

Well yes, but it was Lewis who said it, and he didn't suggest he'd been out *interviewing* any mole-rats, so it can't have been /their/ opinion.

Greatest comedy animal ever? What about the Tasmanian devil or the Road Runner? You can even get a lot of laughs out of a hippo, as long as it's dropping from a sufficiently great height.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

The real point here

Naked Mole Lunches!

Naked Mole farms will be the next big health food craze!

29. CTG
    Boffin

@Anton Ivanov

No, *you* are wrong. The reproductive suppresion is reversible - when a queen dies, one of the other females will take over and become reproductive, so even the workers have the *potential* to be fertile right up until they die. This is quite different from the haplodiploid mechanism of Hymenopterans, where the workers are genetically incapable of breeding.

NMRs really are one of the most fascinating creatures, second only to the babelfish in their usefulness in the "There is no God" argument.

30. Paul

"effectively cold-blooded"

So says Wikipedia. Might not that have more to do with their longevity than any fancy proteins? Isn't this just the converse of Live Fast, Die Young?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like