back to article Apple iPhone police censor South Park

Apple has blocked the creators of South Park from selling an iPhone app based on the long-running cartoon series. According to a BoingBoing post, the blog site's "friends at South Park" said that "We first announced our iPhone App back in October, after we submitted the Application to Apple for approval. After a couple of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Boobs are allowed now?

Boobs are allowed now? in that case: I am taking dibs on iWank! Shake the phone up and down until a sticky white gooey runs down the screen.

I'll follow it up with a release that requires vigorous rubbing of the screen.

Wonder how long before they'll approve those...

Paris, because she'd love it.

2. Peter H. Coffin
    Thumb Up

We know where this leads...

I'm sure the script for the South Park episode mocking the iPhone and fanatical devotion to Steve is on its second draft as I type this, and Comedy Central is clearing airtime for it sometime in the April timeframe.

3. Christopher Ahrens
    Flame

What about iFart?

What about the like of the "fart apps", aren't they offensive enough? Why is Apple so inconsistant in their Iron-fist style of running the app store?

4. Magani
    Paris Hilton

The reason? The content was "potentially offensive."

Now who would've thunk it?

In other news just in,

* Pope shits in the woods

* Bears are Catholic

* etc, etc

Pictures at 11.

Paris, because she's been offended by South Park

5. Dave

Potentially Offensive

In your list of people who might be offended by the South Park movie, you missed a category: Bill Gates fans. I guess Apple considers such people to be a lost cause anyway.

6. Hrishikesh
    Jobs Horns

Yet more reason to support the EFF

EFF, and now Skype and Mozilla are fighting Apple's "DMCA Rights" (yeah right) which attempt to make jailbreaking punishable with jail time.

If I choose to bonk somebody over the head with an iPhone, Apple isn't going to go DMCA over me, yet they *absolutely* control what apps can and cannot go on the iPhone. Hopefully the EFF wins, or we'll have to bash the "Thinnest and Lightest CEO Ever" on the head with a million iPhones to make our point.

If only people stopped collectively fellating Apple ...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

AC Re: iWank

That's actually a pretty good idea...

Icon because... well, you know...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Sorry forgot it on the train

If your all so unhappy with appel stop buying/using there products....

9. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Stop

@ Sorry forgot it on the train...

Grammar first - it's either "you are" or "you're". And it is "their" as in possessive rather than "there".

Apart from that, I couldn't agree more with your point. Apple ARE shite, and long as there are enough shallow people out there who continue to worship at the alter of style over substance then Apple will continue to treat like their customers just like the cretinous mindless pack sheep that they have become.

10. John Chadwick

They will kill the golden goose.

There is a serious risk that the kudos that an iPhone has will lapse and people will stop buying, because of these limitations, I probably use mine less that 50% time now because it doesn't have a bluetooth modem to connect to my car's sat nav. (Important if you drive round the M25 a lot) , All the limitations add up, I even begining to look wistfully at by original XDA Exec, I actually use a 6310i most of the time now. Younger users want media diversity, old gits like me just want a PDA Phone that helps.

11. Neil

4 words

donkey r*ping sh** eaters

12. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

What has this to do with schizophrenia

I don't want you to think I've lost my sense of humour, but your sub-head use of the word schizophrenia adds nothing to the story, and is inaccurate, since Apple's behaviour hasn't remotely anything to do with the symptoms of schizophrenia. It is a stigmatising use of the name of an illness. Really, it is bad enough to have schizophrenia, an illness which can totally screw up people's lives, without the name of the condition being used as a term of abuse.

You wouldn't use terms like sp*stic or cr*pple as terms of abuse (not in headlines, would you?) so leave schizophrenia out of it as well. Thanks.

13. Kevin Fairhurst

Please, please, please...

... will the South Park team put this on Cydia? Give away what could have made Apple some money. That'll teach 'em!

14. Paul
    Joke

Anonymous Coward...

...seems like he's already stopped using iSpell. ;)

But yes... Apple's appstore is precisely the reason I'm not looking forward to developing iPhone apps - the massive ballache of getting the arseholes to publish them.

15. Sam Radford

English, please

>>If your (sic) all so unhappy with appel (sic) stop buying/using there (sic) products....

I'm not so unhappy with "appel" that I'll stop using "there" spell checker.

16. al
    Paris Hilton

If pixar made south park...

If pixar made south park..... this problem would ne'r have happened. They are offensive only to villainous geeks (incredibles), you see.

Paris, coz she likes to PARK 'erself a little SOUTH of center.

17. John Bailey
    Happy

Unappy???

@ AC..

We are not unhappy with Apple's products at all. Quite the opposite. They are an endless source of amusement. Even Microsoft at it's most pompous is no match for the sheer daring of Apple's marketing philosophy.

From the misplaced sense of superiority of the fanboys, to the control freakishness of the makers. All good stuff. Especially now that Apple have decided to invent the cell phone, touch screens, and heaven knows what else. Rest assured, we are all far too amused by Apple to ever bother sullying their brand identity by actually buying any of the iProdicts.

18. James
    Stop

Meh

One reason/excuse for Apple's behaviour I can think of is that the US thinks the AppStore is some magical service that will revolutionise the smartphone world. Apple aren't the first to do this sort of store but they're probably the first to get it right. It will only be seen as successful if they manage to keep the useless crap away from it.

I don't like Apple or own an iPhone

19. Blasmeme
    Flame

Not surprising.

Aren't the distinctive feelings of a dictator/monarch/autocrat 'I can do whatever the hell I like, when I like, to whomever I wish.'?Apple is inconsistent in this case and others because it can be inconsistent and there is nothing anyone can do about it. They just can. Whatever they do, it's not like folk will suddenly stop using it.

And I would truly love to see an 'Apple' episode from South Park. They handled scientology so sensitively.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Prophetic?

I guess the Apple 1984 ad turned out to be ironic then?

Paris, she has a totally different breed of fanbois.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Re: Sorry forgot it on the train

AC: "If your all so unhappy with appel stop buying/using there products...."

Wow. Just wow.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Who Knows?

It could be almost any reason but looks, with the limited info provided here (which may or may not be accurate), like someone has an agenda. You can guess: Scientology members on the Apple iPod team payroll, posturing for more money from what will be a popular entertainment application, republicans in general, Dick Cheney...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Telly box

You mean they still MAKE South Park?? Wow, that was funny oh years ago!

Or is it just more merchandising a dead horse...?

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

:( < is a ttitle

:( England isn't allowed to watch episodes on the south park site T_T

25. ShaggyDoggy

Can't polish a turd

You can't polish a turd, but you can advertise like stink and convince the easy-to-convince masses that what you have is (a) innovative (b) good value (c) reliable (d) desirable

It's still a turd though

26. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@ShaggyDoggy

Silly person, of course you can polish a turd.

Apple have proved it many times.

But, as you say, it is still a turd.

Paris, I'm sure I could find something for her to polish.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Yes, Mssrs. Trey and Stone

Please do an Apple/religion/Scientology episode soon. Jobs as a bad guy would be way better than picking on David Blaine as a cult leader.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

"Please do an Apple/religion/Scientology episode soon. Jobs as a bad guy would be way better than picking on David Blaine as a cult leader."

Simpsons did it.

29. Martin
    Black Helicopters

They killed Kenny......

bastards

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Can't polish a turd"

No, because you just spread shit around, as Apple so obviously do.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

@Sam Radford

Sam responded:

>>If your (sic) all so unhappy with appel (sic) stop buying/using there (sic) products....

> I'm not so unhappy with "appel" that I'll stop using "there" spell checker.

It's not a lack of properly English, Sam. It's simply difficult to pronounce the words correctly when having Steve's iDick in the mouth. Poor sods... but at least keeps these Apple-lamists away from the more dangerous cults.

32. Kevin Fairhurst

May be coincidence

but an unofficial app is now on cydia thanks to http://southparkmobile.net and it works here in the UK!

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grammer or spelling more important?

"Grammar first - it's either "you are" or "you're". And it is "their" as in possessive rather than "there".

Apart from that, I couldn't agree more with your point. Apple ARE shite, and long as there are enough shallow people out there who continue to worship at the alter of style over substance then Apple will continue to treat like their customers just like the cretinous mindless pack sheep that they have become."

Shouldn't that be altar? He who casts the first stone and all that ;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like