back to article Judges plead guilty to jailing kids for kickbacks

Two corrupt judges have admitted getting paid for sending young offenders to private jails, often against the advice of probation officers and other court officials. Bent judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan, both of Pennsylvania, admitted receiving $2.6m in kickbacks as part of a plea-bargaining agreement that will see …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Eric Crippen

7 years???

Seems like they should just take the combined time from all the juveniles sentences, that was past the norm, and make them serve out the difference. Then, they should lose all property until the kickback money is paid back. Public beatings would be appropriate also.

After that, someone should be going after these private companies that paid the money in the first place.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Capital punishment

This may not be a popular view with many, and usually mucking about with base documents is a dangerous president. But the most glaring failure of the US Constitution is it's failure to include penalties, especially for government employees who knowingly violate it's base tenants.

The worst of all are judges. To begin with, there are really no practical checks and balances on them. One will create a law he thinks SHOULD exist by interpreting an existing law in a way no rational being EVER could. Then it becomes case law and other judges apply it because after all we must all rule the same. (Ok, this part makes sense, it's step 1 where the original ruling was intentionally wrong where the system broke down.) This cannot be an honest mistake, especially not a the thousands of times a year it happens. Rather it is a full assault on the government and principles of the United States.

Locking these judges up for 7 years, is not good enough and does not represent a reasonable penalty for their offense. The problem is the people doing the the evaluation are NOT disinterested parties. They are peers, associates and friends. This is one of the very rare cases where mandatory sentences and zero tolerance are indeed appropriate. And the mandatory sentence for sedition? Last I heard it was hanging.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Amazing

7 Years only ? This abuse of power should see them in jail for at least 30. It's amazing, of course, judges look after their own...

4. Joao Pereira
    Coat

Business as usual?

Mine's the one with "Business as usual?" stamped in the back.

5. Deekoo

The sentencing isn't the only problem.

Under the circumstances, the first thing that needs to be done (and far more importantly than getting the judges into jail - getting them off the bench will suffice) is to temporarily release everyone held in the facilities that paid the bribes or sentenced by the judges in question, pending review of the individual cases. If the facilities paid bribes to two judges, they may have paid them to others. If the judges extorted or accepted kickbacks for sentencing, then they may well have done so for other clients.

6. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

@Anonymous coward

"mucking about with base documents is a dangerous president. "

Let's face it, the US has a lot of experience with dangerous presidents.

7. Ascylto

Coming ...

... to a private gaol (oops, sorry, Correctional Facility) in Britain, soon.

8. kain preacher

punishment

I don think there is a fitting legal punishment that could be applied to the judges . Now human test subject for pharmaceuticals, and not the good kind.

9. Rex Alfie Lee
    Heart

Good!

I'm glad these creeps are going where they belong. Hopefully they'll never get parole & have to deal with the whole sentence. A-holes both. I'll bet they're not alone.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like