back to article Gigabyte touts 'world's first' phone with Flash UI

A phone sporting what its maker has claimed is the first mobile equipped with an Adobe Flash-based UI is on its way to the UK. S1200_1 The GSmart S1200 has a Flash-based UI According to Gigabyte, the company behind the GSmart S1200, Flash provides a basis for creating fluid, dynamic new user interfaces. A Gigabyte …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Chiverton

"Switch to Windows Mobile at the flick of a button"

Why would I ever want to do that ? Either their replacement GUI works for everything the phone does, in which case it's bound to be nicer, or it doesn't, in which case there are many other Windoes mobiles to hate...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Go

If only?

The iPhone allowed Flash too?

3. Harry
    Thumb Down

Flash? Why, Why?

Why on earth would users want flash on a phone? Its bad enough that companies use flash to put unnecessary annoyances on web pages.

Surely, the only people who like flash are advertisers. Everybody else uses firefox and flashblock to be rid of it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Lost my sale...

"The 3.1in screen can display snaps captured using the rear-mounted 3Mp camera"

Damn... I've been looking for a phone which has a camera and a screen, but lacks the ability to display 'snaps'.

Or, without the sarcasm: No shit sherlock.

You could have written that 'it also sports a 3.1" screen and a 3MP camera' in half the space, thus saving my time spent reading the statement, in turn reducing the time I'm using my computer, in turn reducing my impact of the environment and thus would have saved all of the penguins!!

5. Kebabster
    Paris Hilton

Didn't do much research did they...

Have they heard of LG? The Viewty's UI is Flash based (and has been extensively customised by the community) so I would guess that the newer models in the same family (Secret?) are also Flash based.

It's bulky, slow and cumbersome to work with and, at least on the Viewty, was a long way off being describable as fluid...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

So it's got a decent bluetooth implementation

as well as a clipboard and a high-speed method of connecting to the internet.

In what way is it iPhone-esque?

Also, isn't Flash one of those things that leads to some of the more gaping gaping holes in the other MS operating systems? And if so, isn't it a bad thing to base your OS around?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Flash only requires a minimal amount of phone power"

...Not according to a report I read on a dodgy news site last year.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/02/green_browsing_study/

8. Psymon

For an article reporting on a phones UI...

The pictures provided are suspiciously absent of any UI.

Doesn't even look like the phone's switched on. I can only assume these are stock photos provided by gigabyte. It's never a good omen when a company does something like this.

Unless of course, these were the only stock photos you could find by yourselves at time of press.

I've noticed a rather disturbing trend like this in the car industry recently. If the car looks like a pig, they photograph it in "dramatic" lighting levels so low you can barely make out the shape of the vehicle.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

So what

It's not clear as to why this is news to anyone.

Users are not clamoring for a flash phone. Only flash developers and advertisers.

I guess if all you know is flash, it makes it easy to just port your app but really, no one wants the same experience on every device.

10. Tim Croydon

Clones

Aren't all those Far East iPhone clones flash based?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nonsense - loads of Flash based UIs out there!

This is nonsense - a massive number of Samsung's handsets (G600, F480i spring immediately to mind) have Flash based UIs.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

pft

The LG viewty et al have a Flash UI and its quite quite crappy.

Paris, because she likes to flash her user interface.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like