back to article Connecticut cop forced to shoot chimp

A pet chimpanzee which violently attacked a woman visiting his owner was shot dead by a police officer "cornered" in his vehicle by the 200lb ape, the BBC reports. Travis, 15, mauled the woman as she got out of her car in Stamford, Connecticut. His owner, Sandra Herold, first "wrestled" with the animal then returned to her …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stuart Van Onselen

Chimps are bad news

I believe the problem is that adult chimps are just as obnoxious, bad-tempered, violent and downright murderous as their cousins Homo Sapiens. Just 6x stronger! Thus they are very hard to control, and capable of dishing out extraordinary amounts of damage to the comparatively puny human physiology.

Those few crazed humans that think that the best way to to save the planet is to destroy mankind in its entirety really should consider taking out the chimps, too. Leave the world to the gorillas (deceptively gentle giants) or to the bonobos (too busy having to sex to be violent).

2. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Spank the monkey

Aren't you just supposed to spank the monkey? Stabbing it several times, no wonder it was a bit pissed. Just someone explain to me, the IT angle?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Sandra Herold should be jailed

Sandra Herold should be jailed for having an illegal dangerous animal. Contrary to popular myth, chimpanzee normal social dynamic is in fact to be very aggressive. By age five they are stronger than most human adults. They become destructive and resentful of discipline. The Jane Goodall Institute has a great piece on "Chimpanzees Don't Make Good Pets"

http://www.janegoodall.org/chimp_central/conservation/issues/as_pets.asp

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Makes a change

Makes a change from shooting pets that approach the front gate...

5. John Ferris
    Unhappy

Some people forget...

...that a wild animal is always a wild animal. No matter how they have been trained, conditioned or reared, there is still the natural instinct in there somewhere, waiting for the right trigger. As numerous owners, circus performers and zookeepers have found out to their cost over the years.

6. Random Noise
    Stop

Non lethal

Why shoot him? What ever happened to non-lethals?

"Don't tase me (99%*) bro"

*Or whatever the most recent DNA comparisons say.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

200lb my a*se

200lb chimp??? I'm fat, and bigger than any chimp I've ever seen, and I weigh 170lb. Sounds like media b*ll*cks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimpanzee#Anatomy_and_physiology

Perhaps it was the copper wot was 200lb.

Paris, 'cos I wouldn't mind monkeying around with her....

8. Alex King
    IT Angle

Unless any penguins were harmed...

...I'm struggling to see the IT angle

Oh, sorry, just realised that this chimp "Bites the hand that feeds it".

9. An Unwashed Mass

Misread

I misread the title as "Connecticut officer forced to shoot chump"... I was wondering where the news content was for a minute...

10. Solomon Grundy

Xanax

The chimp was on Xanax when it went ape (hahaha). He'd been anxious so his owner was putting Xannies in his tea.

I don't know about you guys but I've seen plenty of terribly stupid stunts pulled when someone was all Z'd up. It's supposed to calm you down but take too many and you holding up that liquor store seems like a good idea (or attacking that lady that's been holding you prisoner for 15 years, etc...)

http://www.wlos.com/template/inews_wire/wires.national/368f2f99-www.wlos.com.shtml

11. Daniel B.

28 days later

Hey, isn't this how 28 Days Later begins? Watch out for that woman, she might have the Rage!

Then again, maybe the chimp found someone's Coke stash and just went ape ;)

12. Anonymous John
    Happy

@ Sandra Herold should be jailed

"Legality:

Many states, counties, cities and towns have laws banning the ownership of non-human primates."

Human primates are OK? I could have sworn that slavery had been abolished.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Random Noise

"Why shoot him? What ever happened to non-lethals?"

Chimps are *tough*. He'd been stabbed like ten times, and was shot multiple times, and STILL went back to the house before giving up and keeling over. I don't think a taser would have done much, unfortunately.

And as far as a 200lb chimp goes... even if it's not 200lbs, and closer to the 150 the wikipedia link suggests, it's still one strong motherfucker. A 150lb chimp is probably a strong as five NFL defensive linemen - or, for you euros, two whole football teams... ;)

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ David Wiernicki

I daresay this won't be the first such response, but....Five NFL defensive linemen = 1 rugby player, judging by all the gay-mo protective clothing NFL players seem to need to clad themselves in. As for football (soccer) teams,yeah, you're probably right, but us 'Euros' still regard NFL players as big fairies.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Heart

@ David Wiernicki

It seems to be a common myth in soccer and / or rugby loving countries that NFL players are "wimps" or as you so delicately stated, "fairies".

The true fact is, the pads and protective helmets used in American Football only do one thing..allow them to hit harder. Yes, the equipment allows the players to be more violent than any other sport in the world.

I would love to see a "studly" rugby player take on an NFL player one on one. I guarantee the NFL player would win. :)

New helmets have been developed, (see Popsi.com), that have a swivel built in to protect against neck injuries. The one thing this "safety" issue will do positively is cause the players to spear even harder than they already do.

Yes, I'm a crazy yank...and I'll take my high powered, overweight american football game over the "field fairies" of soccer. Talk about a snooze fest...90 minutes of watching grown men run...and with luck...2 or 3 scores per game? Nah...Golf, bowling, curling, heck, even ice skating are more exciting "sports".

Flame away! :-)

17. elderlybloke
    Thumb Up

Chimps to Yank Football to Soccer

How did that happen?

Anyway I reckon that the Chip is more intelligent that a Rugby Football player.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@David Wiernicki and the others

A chimp is probably not as strong as a football team. But clearly more intelligent (and less queer) than a whole football -or NFL for that matter- team.

Paris. Thick as a brick.

19. BioTube

I've been saying it for years

We need to exterminate the monkeys and any traitorous humans that try to protect them. This is why.

20. Jim Carter
    Pirate

Chimps should not be kept as pets

I mean, they did result in the failed genetic experiments known as chavs.

Anyways- to the flame theme- I do recall hearing a story about a rugby team who took on an American football team and roundly beat them at both games [citation needed]. Figures.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Chimps to Yank Football to Soccer

How did that happen? How did what happen?

This topic is closed for new posts.