back to article Samsung's Omnia touchphone goes HD

Samsung has updated its Omnia mobile phone to create what it has claimed is the world’s first handset capable of HD video capture. Omnia_HD_01 Samsung's Omnia HD: captures 720p video The unimaginatively named Omnia HD is, admittedly, at the lower end of HD – 720p, to be specific. But users can nonetheless shoot 24f/s HD …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That

Assuming that UI is the final version, then they've made a rather major change to the Omina, it that it apparently no longer runs Windows Mobile.

2. Tom Simnett
    Thumb Down

@AC "That"

Not necessarily. Windows Mobile can be effectively hidden, especially for promo shots like this one. Even in reality you can bypass using the Windows UI for most things. I somehow doubt they've gone for a different OS here. Shame, but there you go.

3. Chris

Indeedy

AllAboutSymbian reckon it's a Symbian machine. Which is, as you say, a pretty major change. Did El Reg just forget that it's got a completely different operating system on it?

4. Stuza
    Thumb Down

Sadly AC, you are correct

Its Symbian and has very little in common with its great WinMob relation.... sadly.

5. Kevin
    Thumb Down

Why HD?

What is the point of putting HD video recording (or 12MP cameras) in a device with a lense the size of a pinhead? Or does it take EOS lenses? It's bad enough we have all these 5MP and 7MP images out there that are just as bland, flat and lacking in detail as their 3MP cousins because you can't get enough light into the lense. It's got to be midday on a bright sunny day or you have to carry a halogen lamp wherever you go or bring your tripod. Even hendheld point-and-shoot digital cameras are pushing it at 12MP with a tiny little lense. Mine turns the flash on AND tells me to hold it steady. It's technology for technology sake.

6. Ray
    Paris Hilton

Stylus

Will it have a built in stylus or will we be stuck with the mascara again?

Paris loved the mascara stylus

7. Jerome

Bluetooth

HD video via Bluetooth? Maybe if you've got nothing better to do with the rest of the week.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like