back to article Ofcom snatches spectrum

Ofcom has published a consultation showing how it will create a fairer spread of 900MHz ownership, if the industry can't come up with something better before the end of April. Vodafone and O2 are going to have to hand over 5MHz of spectrum each, in the 900MHz band, which will be auctioned off in 2010 and will have to be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Neil Hoskins
    Thumb Down

"...and deploy whatever technology they like wherever they like...."

That would be precisely nothing, then? Coverage in this country is a joke, unless you live in a big city. On a visit to Kenya a couple of years ago I could get 3G coverage from just about every petrol station and truck stop. Here I'm lucky if I can get standard GPRS in the middle of a medium-sized town.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Flame

Stupid

Stupid Stupid

3G/HSPA is CDMA based. It is woefully inefficient, scales badly and cells breathe horribly, especially on a rural 900Mhz.

This should be EDGE2 on GSM (more spectrum efficient), WiMax, Flash-OFDM or LTE. W-CDMA900 is obsolete spectrum wasting technology.

3. druck Silver badge
    Stop

Keep your filthy hands off 900MHz.

And how is this going to help me? I changed from an 1800MHz to a 900MHz network out here in rural nowhere land as it was only one which penetrated the building. Now Ofcom are spitting off bits and messing everything around just to raise cash and justify their own existence. It needs bloody stopping.

4. Andrew

Cool.....

.... that makes 3G on my phone useless now.

5. Nebulo
    Thumb Down

A murrain on them.

D'you know, I trust Ofcom to look after the EM spectrum *exactly* as much as I trust the Home Office to look after our liberty. That is,

Not. One. Tiny. Little. Bit.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Silly shortsighted twits?

Auction:

goes to highest bidder

Public:

Have to pay for the auction bid

Fair:

Need one ask?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Mage - have you a website

Mage, this is your second contribution on this subject and you make sense. Have you a website with this infor?

We can keep lobbying Ofcom for something better. There is no point in kite flying a 2mb uso for Broadband based on mobile, if it is unlikely you can even do your tax return on the conenction.

Universal Coverage for Mobile is defined as 80%, despite the reams of Ofcom information there is no description of the nature of the connectivity, bandwidth, packet loss or delay.

Should they not extend the definition of white space to include these frequencies in rural areas?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like