back to article Apple animating iTunes stream machine?

Apple will soon offer instant movie-watching gratification. According to a report from AppleInsider, Cupertino is prepping something called iTunes Replay. This new service would allow users to stream movie and TV content directly to their Macs, Apple TVs, iPhones, and iPods without having to first download that content to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Frederick Tennant

Mac Media server

Hang on, this is nothing new i have been streaming movies via itunes from my mac pro in the office my laptop in the living room or my mac mini in the bedroom. What concerns me is will they disable this option in itunes when they bring out their media player?

2. Ian Davies
    Jobs Halo

@Frederick... uh... no

...this is streaming movies over your internet connection, which is a teensy bit different from chucking it around your home LAN

3. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

iTunes is shit!!!!

Worst bit of bloated software I have ever had to use.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Cue

dozens of anti-apple, anti-musician, anti-music industry, anti-musician posts

5. Ian Davies

@crybaby AC

you've clearly never used any Microsoft stuff, have you?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Horns

Why use itunes...

when you can just get the movies on bittorrent for free without having to install a horrifically bloated piece of apple crapware which also includes their substandard browser and quicktime?

7. Goat Jam
    Pirate

Oh the Irony

On the one hand, we have content providers falling over themselves to provide streaming media to the masses (see Spotify story earlier) while on the other hand we have ISP's who are all busily working on implementing increasingly restricted bandwidth caps.

It seems to me that something has gotta give.

Currently, I have to live under a bandwidth cap which in practice means having to constantly ask yourself "will this download be worth the bit cost?" before doing anything that is remotely bandwidth sucking.

Until I can happily browse the net without having to consider the potential usage it will incur I won't be idly streaming crap from the 'net. If i want to watch something I'll get it from bittorrent. At least then I know that if I want to watch it again I won't need to download its bits a second time.

8. Jolyon Smith
    Joke

Why buy stuff...

when you can just jack a car and drive it through the windows of a retail store to get stuff for free without having to work to earn the money required to enact a purchase.

9. John

Net Neutrality

I can see the ISPs providing their own service or perhaps caching (and receiving a fee from netflix/Apple etc) to reduce overall traffic and to provide an extra revenue stream (like the mobile operators do).

This totally goes against Net Neutrality as they will probably then limit the other services to highlight their own or just totally restrict them.

At the end of the day they control the last mile, not Apple, not Google etc and at the moment the ISPs seem to be burdening most of the cost while the providers get most of the profits.

It's only a matter of time. Oh and P2P will be made illegal and the ISPs will be forced/(and want to) to comply. Something has to happen as whole industries are being hit and while they could continue to make ok profits in the boom years, now the failing economy will only highlight the issue and force law makers to stop it.

The only thing that makes me think this might not happen is that Obama is very close to Eric Smidt and politics/business is a dirty game so we may end up with the Utopian vision where broadband is provided by government.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Meager?

It is spelt Meagre!

11. Greg Trocchia
    Alert

@AC (Meager?)

>>It is spelt Meagre!

It _isn't_ spelled that way if you happen to be American. I realize that the Reg is based in the UK, but the particular author of this piece, if you care to look, happens to be in San Francisco. Just because we spell words differently on the other side of the Atlantic does not mean that our preferred spelling is *wrong*, a presumption I am starting to find annoying. I am quite happy to accept that folks in the UK prefer to spell the word as "meagre" (even if it is less phonetic in that spelling) and have no desire you to compel you to change your preference, I urge you to extend us the same courtesy.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like