back to article Obama orders 'root and branch' cybersecurity review

President Obama has ordered a wide-ranging review of the US's cybersecurity defences. The 60-day exercise promises a root and branch review of the state of US cyber security efforts that is likely to result in major revisions of how the US responds to threats from hackers, malware and foreign intelligence agencies. Obama, who …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Easy

Kick windows out of mission critical.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obama has no clue

Obama has demonstrated that he knows nothing about cyber security nor national security. He refuses to give up his CRACKberry so you know he has an addiction.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How do you spend $800 billion?

This has more to do with finding ways to spend money. US has a lot of domestic networking businesses and so spending in that field is more likely to swill around the US economy. Cisco, Symantec Microsoft etc.

Obama needs to spend $800 billion and generate at least $900 billion in real growth to cover it. Imagine if you had to create 40 Googles a year, you can see the size of the problem Obama faces.

Myself, I think it's wasted money and he won't be able to fix the Bush Legacy, if he gets $400 billion in one time productivity I would be surprised (i.e. 50% waste). Basically it will always be cheaper to *NOT* connect sensitive systems to public networks in the first place, rather than pay money to build expensive firewalls, so without the Government throwing money at the problem there isn't a real market there and those businesses would always be seeking government money to stay in business.

4. amanfromMars Silver badge

Re How do you spend $800 billion?

"This has more to do with finding ways to spend money." ... By Anonymous Coward Posted Wednesday 11th February 2009 15:09 GMT

AC,

Make it simpler for Barack, by offering him something he might need and want to use. I imagine his gratitude and one's reward would be commensurate to the offering.

In fact, you will invariably find that all the smartest movers and shakers in such things, ensure that it is so.

And there appear to be moves afoot to dismantle the private mercenary armies/security firms which are so counterproductive to US troops...... whenever they act with gung-ho warrior immunity and impunity. This is news of a fat cat operation which is running as a private fiefdom .... http://cryptome.info/0001/hts-bailout.htm

5. Phil Cooke
    Black Helicopters

24 connection?

Sounds like Obama's been watching the current 24 and is panicing it could happen for real!

6. Daniel B.
    Boffin

@Obama has no clue

He might cling on his BlackBerry... but that small piece of equipment is safer than the stupid Exchange server that Bush put in the White House.

Given how easily McKinnon 0wned military systems, cybersecurity might mean removing all Microsoft stuff from critical applications; otherwise any script kiddie will be able to crack in through someone who left blank passwords on their PC.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Annd in the UK

Anything here?

8. TeeCee Gold badge
    Stop

@Daniel B.

FFS, not again!

Please explain carefully exactly *why* a Windows box with its password policy set to allow blank passwords and with such in use is less secure than a <insert favourite OS> box with its password policy set to allow blanks and such in use?

Boffin icon? I could weep.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like